Tuesday, May 15, 2018

NI2 15/5/18

make do
to manage with the things that you have, even though this is not really enough
 I hardly had any food in the house so I just had to make do.
make do with/without
 I usually make do with a cup of coffee for breakfast.
 For many people, make do and mend (=when someone manages with the things they have and does not buy anything new) was a harsh reality.

get by phrasal verb
to have enough money to buy the things you need, but no more
- I don’t earn a huge salary, but we get by.

p. 103

ex. 8
Botsuana
diamonds
invested in education, health care, infrastructure (roads)
strong democracy, lowest level of corruption in Africa.


though /ðəʊ/ UK  US  conjunción &  adverbio
 •  conjunción
1 aunque
Though she was only seven, she played the piano brilliantly.
Aunque solo tenía siete años, tocaba el piano de maravilla.
2 pero
I bought it in Italy, though it's probably cheaper here.
Lo compré en Italia, pero es probable que sea más barato aquí.
 ▶  ver también as, even

 •  adverbio
 (informal) (sin embargo)
We had to queue for an hour. It was worth it, though.
Tuvimos que hacer cola durante una hora, pero valió la pena.

Tough /tʌf/
Though  /ðəʊ/
thought  /θɔːt/

bear
beard


coal /kəʊl/ UK  US  sustantivo
carbón

THE PASSIVE

Tense
Active
Passive
make a cake.
A cake is made (by me).
am making a cake.
A cake is being made (by me).
made a cake.
A cake was made (by me).
was making a cake.
A cake was being made (by me).
have made a cake.
A cake has been made (by me).
have been making a cake.
A cake has been being made(by me).
had made a cake.
A cake had been made (by me).
will make a cake.
A cake will be made (by me).
will have made a cake.
A cake will have been made (by me).





p. 103

ex. 10


wise /waɪz/ UK  US  adjetivo
1  sensato -a, prudente
It would be  wise to  book.
Sería prudente reservar.
2 sabio -a
3 to be none the wiser no sacar nada en claro/limpio

Is imported, was discovered, are being constructed, is subsidised, will be damaged, be done, is made, isn’t invested.

p. 124


plug /plʌg/ UK  US  sustantivo & verbo
  sustantivo
1 enchufe [de un aparato eléctrico]
2 tapón [de una bañera, etc.]
plug sth in phrasal verb
 enchufar algo

socket /ˈsɒkɪt/ UK  US  sustantivo
1 (en la pared) enchufe, toma de corriente
2 (en un aparato eléctrico) enchufe

Ex. 1
File, screen, menu, cursor, printer, scanner, mouse, keyboard, socket, plug, external hard drive, cable.

cursor /ˈkɜːsə/ UK  US  sustantivo
cursor

Ex. 2
Menu, external hard drive, socket, printer, cable, cursor, plug, scanner, file, screen.

I have one computer, but as if I didn’t have one.

I’m completely useless with computers.

trip /trɪp/ UK  US  sustantivo & verbo
  sustantivo
viaje
a business/road trip un viaje de negocios/por carretera
to go on a trip irse de viaje
 •  verbo (-pped, -pping)
1  [intransitivo] tropezar
to trip on/over sth tropezar con algo

p. 125
ex. 6
1) Internet down
Check connections, issue with the cable
2) computer crashed + folders dissappeared from the screen
Backup copies, rebooting, search by name
3) can’t print – spinning wheel
Virus – run the security scan for unwanted software, google it

4) password problems, 3 times in a month. Email you. App: all my passwords

No comments: