Thursday, May 03, 2018

NI1 3/5/18

p. 70
tidy, remain, overlooking, hanging, turn into, plain, property, bookcase.

Shall we go for a drink?
We could eat out today.
Why don’t we go to the cinema?
Let’s do some exercise.

Ex. 1c
1.- American, English (London), broke up, sit around crying and eating ice cream, plain ticket, concert ticket, jewellery, paintings – sth positive.
2.- everything that remind them of their partner or that they didn’t like anyway.Car, honey moon package, holiday, engagement ring, teddy bear...
3.- sell and tell

Bargains

Unlike most of us
After the break-up
A ticket to a concert
She didn’t want them herself.


Buy and sell all things ex

I'M SELLING...
An engagement ring
BECAUSE...
Found out my engagement ring was bought 8 years ago when we've only been together for 4. It was for his EX!
MY BOUNCE BACK PLAN IS...
Put it in my son's college fund account.
I'M SELLING...
1963 ink and watercolor, estate stamped on verso, 15 3/8 x 20. Professionally matted and framed.
BECAUSE...
My first job out of college I made a pittance because of the whole no experience but no one wants to hire someone until she has experience conundrum.. I worked for two art dealers who moonlighted as PR people. I needed the PR experience and was happy to have a job (I had student loans to pay), so I took the job. My first performance review came up and because they couldn't afford to give me a raise, they presented me with this piece of art. Frankly, it's not really my taste and I don't care for the artist. I've held onto it for all these years because...well, it's fine art and it felt wrong to get rid of it. But I just don't give it the appreciation it deserves, so it's time to rehome it.
MY BOUNCE BACK PLAN IS...
Treat myself and my loved ones to some little luxuries.



p. 146
she said her      
she told her
she said
(she said to her)
Verb changes in reported speech:

Indirect speech: changes to adverbs and demonstratives
We often change demonstratives (this, that) and adverbs of time and place (now, here, today, etc.) because indirect speech happens at a later time than the original speech, and perhaps in a different place.
Compare
direct speech
indirect speech
I said, ‘I’ll meet you here tomorrow.’
I told her I would meet her there the next/following day.
She said, ‘I do not wish to discuss it at this moment in time.’
She said she did not wish to discuss it at that moment in time.
He said, “I want it now.”
He said he wanted it then/at that moment.
‘I finished the job three weeks ago,’ the boy protested.
The boy protested that he had finished the job three weeks before.
Typical changes to demonstratives, adverbs and adverbial expressions
direct

indirect
this
that
these
those
now
then
yesterday
the day before
tomorrow
the next/following day
two weeks ago
two weeks before
here
there

Indirect speech: reporting questions
Reporting yes-no questions and alternative questions
Indirect reports of yes-no questions and questions with or consist of a reporting clause and a reported clause introduced by if or whetherIf is more common thanwhether. The reported clause is in statement form (subject + verb), not question form:
She asked if [S] [V]I was Scottish. (originalyes-no question: ‘Are you Scottish?’)

The waiter asked whether [S]we [V]wanted a table near the window. (original yes-noquestion: ‘Do you want a table near the window?)
He asked me if [S] [V]I had come by train or by bus. (original alternative question:‘Did you come by train or by bus?’)

Reporting wh-questions
Indirect reports of wh-questions consist of a reporting clause, and a reported clause beginning with a wh-word (who, what, when, where, why, how). We don’t use a question mark:
He asked me what I wanted.
Not: He asked me what I wanted?
The reported clause is in statement form (subject + verb), not question form:
She wanted to know who [S]we [V]had invited to the party.
Not: … who had we invited …
Whowhom and what
In indirect questions with who, whom andwhat, the wh-word may be the subject or the object of the reported clause:
I asked them who came to meet them at the airport. (who is the subject ofcame; original question: ‘Who came to meet you at the airport?’)
He wondered what the repairs would cost. (what is the object of cost; original question: ‘What will the repairs cost?’)
The reported clause is in statement form (subject + verb), not question form:
She asked us what [S]we [V]were doing.(original question: ‘What are you doing?’)
Not: She asked us what were we doing?

Whenwherewhy and how
We also use statement word order (subject + verb) with whenwhere, why andhow:
I asked her when [S]it [V]had happened(original question: ‘When did it happen?’).
Not: I asked her when had it happened?
I asked her where [S]the bus station [V]was. (original question: ‘Where is the bus station?’)
Not: I asked her where was the bus station?
The teacher asked them how [S]they [V]wanted to do the activity. (original question: ‘How do you want to do the activity?’)
Not: The teacher asked them how did they want to do the activity?

Indirect speech: reporting commands
Indirect reports of commands consist of a reporting clause, and a reported clause beginning with a to-infinitive:
The General ordered the troops to advance. (original command:‘Advance!’)
The chairperson told him to sit down and to stop interrupting. (original command: ‘Sit down and stop interrupting!’)
We also use a to-infinitive clause in indirect reports with other verbs that mean wanting or getting people to do something, for example, advise, encourage, warn:
They advised me to wait till the following day. (original statement: ‘You should wait till the following day.’)
The guard warned us not to enter the area. (original statement: ‘You must not enter the area.’)

Homework: p. 146, 8A a and b

“I like football”
She said / told me (that) she liked football

“I’ll come back tomorrow”
He said (that) he would come back the following day

“he broke my glasses here”
He said that he had broken his glasses there

“They could help you now”
He said that they could help us / me then.

“Where are you from?
He asked me where I was from.

“How often do you do sport?”
He asked me how often I did sport.

“Are you busy at this moment?”
He wanted to know if / whether I was busy at that moment.

“Have you seen her today?”
He asked me if / whether I had seen her that day.

“Come in”
She ordered / told me to come in.

“Don’t speak Spanish”
She told me NOT to speak Spanish.

Extra grammar activities:





No comments: