Wednesday, April 18, 2018

NA2 18/4/18

Present (repeated actions or habits)
I use to read before I go to bed   
I usually read before I go to bed
Past (repeated actions or permanent situations)
I used to read a little every night when I was younger. (repeated action in the past)
I read a little every night when I was younger
I would read a little every night when I was younger
Would->PAST HABITS used to say that something happened often or regularly in the past.
- When we worked in the same office, we would often have coffee together.
- On summer evenings they would sit out in the garden.

I used to live in that house. (permanent situation)
I lived in that house
I would live in that house

Common error: I didn’t used / use to have breakfast at university
You didn’t use to eat chips when you were younger.

USAGE: Used to do sth, be used to something
•Don't confuse I used to do something and I am used to (doing) something.
• You say -I used to live in Paris- when you lived in Paris in the past, but you do not live there now. In this meaning, used to is followed by the base form of the verb (=the infinitive without 'to').
• You say -I'm used to living in Paris- when you are accustomed to living in Paris because you have lived there for some time.
Be used to is followed by an -ing form, not the infinitive. Don't say: I'm used to live in Paris.

The same for get used to
I got used to working under pressure.

p. 121
ex. 6
do not usually finish, get used to, usually eat, usually assumes, used to, usually eat, used to sit down, usually eat, get used to dining, used to be, weren’t used to eating
ex. 7
used to, I’m used to, used to, get used to, was used to.


No comments: