Wednesday, October 18, 2017

NB2 18/10/17

Other contractions
Contractions can occur after nouns, names, herethere and now and question words. These contractions are not considered appropriate in formal writing:
My sister’s got married.
=
My sister has got married.
John’ll be very happy.
=
John will be very happy.
Here’s the coffee.
=
Here is the coffee.
There’s your watch.
=
There is your watch.
Now’s your chance.
=
Now is your chance.
Where’s the milk?
=
Where is the milk?
What’s happened?
=
What has happened?
We don’t use more than one contraction:
He’s not free.
Not: he’sn’t free.
We don’t use affirmative contractions at the end of clauses:
A:
I think we’re lost.
B:
Yes, I think we are.
Not: I think we’re
However, we do use negative contractions at the end of clauses and we do commonly use contractions in tag questions:
A:
You’ve contacted Jan, haven’t you?
B:
No, I haven’t.
In question forms, am not is contracted toaren’t:
I’m getting a pay rise, aren’t I?
Not: amn’t I?




p. 12

For more information about the plural of nouns:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/spelling/plurals-of-nouns


suburb /ˈsʌbɜːb/ UK  US  sustantivo
barrio residencial [en las afueras de una ciudad]
the suburbs los barrios periféricos/de las afueras, las zonas residenciales



ancient /ˈeɪnʆənt/ UK  US  adjetivo
1 antiguo -a [civilización, ciudad, etc.]
2 viejísimo -a

palace /ˈpælɪs/

p.13

There is a pear, an apple and some bananas.
There are some bananas, an apple and a pear


castle /ˈkɑːsəl/

Dictation

Which languages do you speak?
I don’t like English food.
his wife is a receptionist in a hotel.
he’s a waiter in a local restaurant.
Do you want to go swimming in the river?
She’s at university in west London.
He wants to be a police officer.

Where does your brother work?

No comments: