Thursday, October 19, 2017

NA2 19/10/17


Homework: Reading activity p. 14-15

p. 16

bouncer /ˈbaʊnsə $ -ər/ noun [countable] 
1 someone whose job is to stand at the door of a club, bar etc and stop unwanted people coming in, or make people leave if they are behaving badly

bump into somebody phrasal verbto meet someone who you know, when you were not expecting to 
SYN run into

goddammit, God damn it /ɡɒˈdæmɪt $ ˌɡɑːdˈdæm-/ interjection 
a word used to express annoyance, anger etc. Some Christian people consider this word offensive.

good riddance (to somebody)
spoken a rude way of saying you are glad someone has left
 She was awful. Good riddance to her, I say!

ˈswear word ●○○ noun [countable] 
a word that is considered to be rude, offensive, and shocking by most people

cross my heart (and hope to die)spoken informal used to say that you promise that you will do something, or that what you are saying is true

for good
permanently
 The injury may keep him out of football for good.

be snowed under
a) informal to have more work than you can deal with
be snowed under with 
I found myself snowed under with work.

ask after somebody phrasal verb British English
if you ask after someone, you want to know whether they are well, what they are doing etc.
 I spoke to James today. He was asking after you.

Give her my regards

I knew there would be a last-minute rush to meet the deadline.
 Don’t worry, there’s no rush. We don’t have to be at the station until 10.
do something in a rush (=do something quickly because you need to hurry)
 I had to do my homework in a rush because I was late.
be in a rush
HURRY [singular, uncountable] a situation in which you need to hurry
 I’m sorry, I can’t talk now – I’m in a rush.

We all want some


No comments: