Tuesday, January 16, 2018

NI2 16/1/18


Ex. 3
Working in the kitchen
Complained about his boss
So much fun
I wish we had stayed together / I wish we hadn’t split up
A lot in common
Britain
She is outgoing, he is shy
Yes
Hang out
Nicolas is no longer friends with Jeff


hang out phrasal verb
1 informal to spend a lot of time in a particular place or with particular people
with
- I don’t really know who she hangs out with.
- Where do the youngsters hang out?

friend /frend/ UK  US  
to be friends with sb ser amigo -a de alguien
to make friends hacer(se) amigos -as
to make friends with sb hacerse amigo -a de alguien

doing a summer job
we were dating for a while

difficult /ˈdɪfɪkəlt/ UK  US  adjetivo
1 difícil
It was  difficult to concentrate.
Era difícil concentrarse.

we got talking
I’ve been over to Belgium to see him
Over time, ...
Who he was sharing a flat with
They stopped talking to each other
Manage to sort things out

p. 111

ex. 5
past, past perfect, had, hadn’t
Wish
I wish you a happy birthday
I wish I was rich (same subject – past simple)
I wish he would come (different subject – would)
I wish I had told her that I love her (regrets- past perfect)


wish /wɪʆ/ UK  US  verbo & sustantivo
 •  verbo (3ª persona singular del presente -shes)
1  [transitivo] (para expresar un deseo)
I wish I didn't have to go.
Ojalá no tuviera que ir.
I wish you'd hurry up!
¡Date prisa, por lo que más quieras!
He wished it were Friday already.
Deseaba que fuese viernes.

3  [transitivo] (formal) querer
I  wish to  make a complaint.
Quiero hacer una queja.

GRAMMAR: Patterns with wish
• You wish that you could do something:
I wish I could speak Spanish.
Don’t say: I wish I can speak Spanish.
• You wish that something would happen:
I wish it would stop raining.
I wish you wouldn’t do that.
• You wish that you had done something:
I wish I had paid more attention in class.
She wished she hadn’t said that she was bored.
• You wish that you could have done something:
I wish I could have seen his face!
• In everyday spoken English, you say I wish I was:
I wish I was back home in Hong Kong.
• In more formal English, especially in American English, you use I wish I were:
I wish I were back home in Hong Kong.
• I wish I were is often used when talking about things that are impossible:
I wish I were you!
I wish I were younger.

Used to-> for repeated actions and situations in the past
I used to / didn’t use to get up early


In the present we don’t say:
I use to have milk and toast for breakfast.
RIGHT-> I usually have milk...

I wish I had told her the truth ( you didn’t tell her)
I wish I hadn’t told her the truth (you told her)

have an ace up your sleeve
to have a secret advantage which could help you to win or be successful


bump into somebody phrasal verb
to meet someone who you know, when you were not expecting to SYN run into
- I bumped into Jean in town.

remove /rɪˈmuːv/ UK  US  verbo [transitivo]
1 sacar, quitar
Three bullets were  removed from  his chest.
Le sacaron tres balas del pecho.
3  eliminar [una mancha, un problema]

remain /rɪˈmeɪn/ UK  US  verbo [intransitivo] (formal)
1 (en determinado estado) permanecer
Please remain seated.
Por favor, permanezcan sentados.
2 (en un lugar) quedarse
3 (seguir existiendo) quedar

fall out phrasal verb
1 to have a quarrel
with
- Carrie’s always falling out with people.

awkward /ˈɔːkwəd/ UK  US  adjetivo

1  incómodo -a, violento -a [pregunta, situación, etc.]

No comments: