Monday, May 13, 2019

ALB2 13/5/19

To infinitive OR –ing
It’s no use- used to say that you are going to stop doing something because you do not think it will be successful.

It’s no use talking to Rick, he’s very stubborn.
It’s no use disturbing Mike when he’s angry.
It’s no use wasting money in unimportant things.
It’s no use going to the clubs when you have exams.

Eager to-  very keen and excited about something that is going to happen or about something you want to do
Patricio is eager to learn new things.
Ludwig was eager to take part in the competition.
Teenagers are eager to go out together.
I’m eager to go on a trip this holiday.

It+ be+ adj.
It’s important to vote in the local elections.
It’d be nice to see you as soon as possible.
It’s necessary to take difficult obstacles into account.
It’s encouraging to see inspiring people.
It’s terrible to hear such bad news.

Too + adj + to + verb
He’s too important to be forgotten.
Rome is too ancient to be believed.
It’s too dark inside to see.
My archenemy is to disagreeable to be trusted.

Adj. + enough + to inf
Miguel is clever enough to get a very good result.
Ernie is nice enough to be in good terms with his rivals.
The party was fun enough to pay for it.
He’s empathetic enough to understand them.

Ready + to
I’m ready to go.
I’m ready to hear the truth

I need to make you see what happened.

MAKE
- Anyone can make a mistake.
- I can’t make a decision just yet.
- I need to make a quick phone call.
- You could have made more effort to talk to him.
- He made no attempt to apologize.
- Could I make a suggestion?
- There are a few points I’d like to make.
- The police were called but no arrests were made.
- I suppose we should make a start on cleaning this room.
- Stop making such a fuss!

DO
- Have you done your homework yet?
- You need to do more exercise.
- It’s a pleasure doing business with you.
- It’s your turn to do the dishes.
- Students are under considerable pressure to do well.
- This will do nothing for (=will not improve) Jamie’s confidence
- A week in the countryside will do you good (=make you feel better).
- What do you do for a living (=as your job)?

Hope + TO
Mind + –ing
Hate + -ing
Decide + to


Causative form

Have/get something done
Yesterday I had my car washed.

Have someone do something for you
This I had a friend give me a lift

Plumber
Deadline

 I stopped to check my messages.

I stopped checking my messages.

No comments: