Tuesday, March 20, 2018

NI2 20/3/18

p. 49

ex. 4
quick and easy, in preparation for, as you may think, low levels of stress, no  time, the minimum wage, do better for herself.
Ex.6.

I’m used to it, I’m slowly getting used to it, I’ll just have to get used to it, It took me a while to get used to, I’m totally used to it now, I don’t think I’ll ever get used to

I think I won’t get used to it

p. 53
ex. 7
much better, is a bit easier, up to 12 hours longer, much more, far less, about twice as big as.

My phone costs 200€ whereas jose’s one’s worth 1000€

Ex. 9
1c, 2b, 3a, 4f, 5e, 6d

Gines’s car is very big, while my one is much smaller

Wheel
go on the upper part of your body

top 5 CLOTHES a piece of clothing that you wear on the upper part of your body 
She was wearing a stripy knitted top. 
a skirt with a matching top 
a bikini top 
I can’t find my pyjama top.

Bottom CLOTHES [countable usually plural] the part of a set of clothes that you wear on the lower part of your body
 pyjama bottoms
 a blue bikini bottom

bragas sustantivo plural
knickers  (BrE), pants  (BrE), panties  (AmE)
unas bragas de encaje
a pair of lace knickers

calzoncillos sustantivo plural
underpants, pants (BrE)
unos calzoncillos blancos
a pair of white underpants

Homework: Read the text p. 55



Positions of adverbs
Adverbs can be used in three positions in a sentence or clause:
front (perhaps they’ll arrive this evening)
mid (she hardly knew him)
end (I left the bedroom and ran downstairs)
Different types of adverbs go in different positions. Here are some general guidelines:
Front position
The main types of adverbs that can be used in this position are those that:
begin a sentence or clause that’s linked in meaning to another:
People tend to put on weight in middle age. However, gaining weight is not inevitable.
I’ll begin with an overview of the product. Secondly, I’ll talk about projected sales.
refer to time or frequency:
Afterwards, we went out for a walk.
Sometimes she wonders what life’s all about.
refer to place:
There goes my bus!
Up he ran, soon disappearing from view.
comment on the rest of the sentence or clause (sentence adverbs):
Luckily, our meal lived up to expectation.
Clearly, more research is needed.
Mid position
This term refers to adverbs that can be used in the middle of a sentence or clause. The main kinds of adverbs found in this position are those that:
refer to frequency:
We always meet for coffee on Saturday.
She’s never been to Sweden.
refer to manner:
He carefully avoided my eye.
I slowly walked into town.
make the meaning of a verb, adjective, or other adverb stronger or weaker:
She nearly fell asleep at her desk.
These ideas are very complicated.
comment on the rest of the sentence or clause:
When we first heard this story, frankly, we couldn’t believe it.
focus on part of a sentence or clause:
I’m only going to stay in New York for a week.
Tina can’t just drop all her commitments.
End position
The main types of adverbs which can be used at the end of a sentence of clause are those that:
refer to manner:
It's an interesting plot twist, and one that works well.
For some reason, his career progressed slowly.
refer to time or frequency:
The troops flew home yesterday.
They’re sending hundreds of texts to each other monthly.
refer to place:
They’re sitting at the table over there.
There was a sudden burst of laughter from the people who could see outside.
Position of adverbs and verbs
Adverbs are often found between the subject and its verb:
We always meet for lunch at 1 p.m.
I completely forgot his name.
They can also come between an auxiliary verb (such as be or have) and a main verb:
The concert was suddenly cancelled.
He had quickly eaten his dinner.






No comments: