Wednesday, March 21, 2018

NA2 21/3/18

flattering /ˈflætərɪŋ/ adjective 
clothes, pictures etc that are flattering make someone look as attractive as they can or make something as good as possible, even if it is not really very good
- That colour is very flattering.

flatter /ˈflætə $ -ər/ ●○○ verb [transitive] 
1 to praise someone in order to please them or get something from them, even though you do not mean it
- Perry would always flatter Mrs. Mitchell by praising her cooking.
► see thesaurus at praise
2 to make someone look as attractive as they can SYN suit
- That dress really flatters your figure.
3 to make something look or seem more important or better than it is
- Lewis’s novel doesn’t flatter Midwestern attitudes and morals.

p. 94
Ex. 1
... she had never been photographed before / he was a stranger.
... nobody knew the person.
... time and hardship had erased her youth.
... she’s had a hard life.

Ex. 7
She complemented me on my amazing photos /taking /having taken some amazing photos.
She encouraged me to do this professionally.
She accused him /me of being far too modest.
She suggested I went on a propper phtography course /going on a propper...
She promised to introduce to her friend.
She apologised for not having introduced me to her sooner.
She urged me to enter...
She offered to lend me her camera...


urge /ɜːdʒ $ ɜːrdʒ/ ●●○ W3 verb [transitive] 
1 to strongly suggest that someone does something
urge somebody to do something
- I got a note from Moira urging me to get in touch.
urge that
 -He urged that a referendum should be held by December.
urge something on/upon somebody
- I have urged upon him the need for extreme secrecy.
- The charity urged quick action.

GRAMMAR: Choosing the right tense
• You use the simple present tense with unless:Unless the government changes its policy, the economic situation will get worse.
• Don’t use ‘will’ in the clause after unless
Don’t say:Unless the government will change its policy ...
• You can also use the present perfect tense with unless:
I won’t change anything unless someone has asked me to.
Don’t say: unless someone will have asked me to |unless someone will ask me to
• To talk about the past, use the simple past with unless:
Unless the company got a loan, it would go bankrupt.
They threatened to kill him unless he gave them the money.
Don’t say: Unless the company would get a loan ...
USAGE: Unless, in case, or else•You use unless when saying that if something does not happen, something else will happen:
Unless I hear from you (=if I don’t hear from you), I’ll assume everything’s OK.
•You use in case when saying that you do something in order to be prepared if something happens:Take a sweater in case you get cold.
•You use or else when saying that something bad will happen if you do not do something:

You’d better go now, or else you’ll miss the train.

No comments: