Thursday, December 14, 2017

NI2 14/12/17

p. 150
be/keep/stay etc in touch (with something)
to have the latest information or knowledge about something
 A regular newsletter keeps people in touch with local events.
- The speech was good and you felt he was in touch with people’s needs.
- Rescuers were kept in touch through radio links.
- A head-teacher needs to remain in close touch with teachers’ everyday concerns.

aˈpart from (also aside from American English) preposition 
1 except for
- We didn’t see anyone all day, apart from a couple of kids on the beach.
- Apart from the ending, it’s a really good film.
2 as well as
- Apart from his earnings as a football coach, he also owns and runs a chain of sports shops.
- Quite apart from the cost, we need to think about how much time the job will take.

last ●●● S1 W1 adverb  1 most recently before now → next 
When I last saw her, she was working in New York.

propose /prəˈpəʊz/ UK  US  verbo
1  [transitivo] proponer
2 to propose (to sb) proponer(le) matrimonio (a alguien), pedir(le) la mano (a alguien)


also /ˈɔːlsəʊ/ UK  US  adverbio
1 también
We also visited the museum.
También visitamos el museo.
He can also play the piano.
También sabe tocar el piano.
 ▶ also  va antes del verbo principal y después del primer modal o auxiliar, si los hay. Ver además la nota en también
2 además
It's raining. Also, I don't have enough money.
Está lloviendo. Además, no tengo bastante dinero.

as well as conj  (in addition to)   además de loc prep
-   Our neighbour brought cake as well as juice for everyone.
 -  El vecino trajo tortas, además de jugo para todos.
-   I will invite my friends as well as my family.
-   As well as speaking four languages, my sister is a great athlete.
-   This is developing an effective relationship among all the companies, as well as improving communication.

wage /weɪdʒ/ UK  US  sustantivo & verbo
 •  sustantivo
 (también wages) salario, sueldo
¿wage o salary?
a wage se paga por hora, día o semana, normalmente a cambio de trabajos manuales, mientras que  a salary, se paga mensualmente por el ejercicio de profesiones liberales y de tipo administrativo.


F, c, g, a, d, e, b

He puts me to the test
Whenever I can

sensible /ˈsensəbəl/ UK  US  adjetivo
1  sensato -a [persona, decisión]

I think the same as Rubén

I started a new job last week, but I’m also moving house.
I’m studying a lot, as well as (I’m) training hard for a marathon.
My brother is living with me at the moment, so I’m busy looking after him too.
Apart from helping to organise..., I’ve been busy at work.
As well as going to Germany on holiday, I went to Sweden for a conference recently.
Quite a lot of bad things have happened, so I have some good news too.

Can I come too?
 ‘I’m feeling hungry.’ ‘Me too.’
 It’s a more efficient system and it’s cheaper too.

GRAMMAR: Word order
Too is usually used at the end of a sentence or clause:
He was a teacher too.
• In more formal English, too is also used near the beginning of a sentence, after the subject, or after an adverb or phrase:
We too must play our part.
Here, too, there are problems with the economy.


Homework: write a letter to an imaginary friend / relative in England and tell him / her about your life, follow the model on p. 150. (Max. 150 words)

1 comment:

miki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.