Tuesday, December 05, 2017

NI1 5/12/17

p.21

This winter is being very cold. In fact, it’s freezing!
Today it’s freezing cold.
I’m / was amazed! I’ve never seen / I had never seen an elephant before.
I’m positive I’ll pass the exam.

positive /ˈpɒzətɪv/ UK  US  adjetivo
1 positivo -a
2 segurísimo -a
"Are you sure it was him?" "Positive."
–¿Estás seguro de que fue él? –Segurísimo.
to be positive about sth/that estar seguro -a de algo/de que


freezing /ˈfriːzɪŋ/ UK  US  adjetivo & sustantivo
 •  adjetivo
1  (informal) I'm/he's etc freezing! ¡estoy/está etc helado!
it was/it is etc freezing hacía/hace etc un frío terrible

I’m terrified of spider just by seeing them.

terrified /ˈterɪfaɪd/ UK  US  adjetivo
aterrorizado -a
I'm terrified of heights/spiders etc las alturas/las arañas etc me dan pánico

They look so funny together. She's really tiny and her husband's about six foot five.

five/six etc feet
En inglés la altura de las personas y de los objetos a menudo se expresa en pies ( feet o  foot, abreviado  ft.  o con el símbolo  ') y pulgadas ( inches, abreviado  ins., o con el símbolo ").
five foot seven/five feet seven/5 ft. 7 ins./5' 7" (cinco pies y siete pulgadas) equivalen a 1,70m, six foot/six feet (seis pies) equivalen a 1,80m


pound /paʊnd/ UK  US  sustantivo & verbo
 •  sustantivo
1 (unidad de peso) libra [= 0,45 kg]
2 (moneda) libra
a five pound_ note
un billete de cinco libras

Fah‧ren‧heit /ˈfærənhaɪt/ noun [uncountable](written abbreviation F)  a scale of temperature in which water freezes at 32° and boils at 212° 
72° Fahrenheit (=72 degrees on the Fahrenheit scale)


p. 113
happy to do something 
John will be so happy to see you.
GRAMMAR: Patterns with happy
• You are happy to do something or happy to be doing something:
I’m very happy to be here.
Don’t say: I’m very happy for being here.
• You are happy that something has happened or is true:
I’m very happy that I’m here.
• You are happy about something:
I’m so happy about your engagement.
Don’t say: I’m so happy for your engagement.
• You are happy for someone when something good has happened to them:
Congratulations – I’m happy for you.

mind doing something 
Did you mind being away from home for so long?

good at (doing) something 
Alex is very good at languages. 
She’s good at making things.
good with
As a politician, you need to be good with words(=skilful at using words). 
He’s very good with people (=skilful at dealing with people).

p. 114


thought /θɔːt/

isle /aɪl/ UK  US  sustantivo
isla
 ▶ Este vocablo se usa solo en contextos literarios o como parte de los nombres de algunas islas, p. ej.  the Scilly Isles


island /ˈaɪlənd/ UK  US  sustantivo
isla
They live on a small island.
Viven en una pequeña isla.


adorable /əˈdɔːrəbəl/ UK  US  adjetivo
adorable, encantador -a


stressed, changed

I’ve been, English, don’t, trip, being, to, message, I’ll send them (promise),

viaje sustantivo
1 trip
un viaje al extranjero
a trip abroad
Ganaron un viaje a Port Aventura.
They won a trip to Port Aventura.
 ▶ También existe el término journey, que se usa para referirse a viajes largos o difíciles y sobre todo en contextos literarios
un viaje a través del desierto
a journey across the desert
 ▶ travel, que es incontable, se puede usar para referirse a la actividad de viajar
Los viajes amplían los horizontes.
Travel broadens the mind
 ▶ voyage se usa para hablar de un viaje largo o difícil por mar
los viajes de Colón
the voyages of Columbus
 irse de viaje to go on a trip
 ¡buen viaje! have a good trip!

He saved enough money to buy (v) a small house.
I’m saving for a new car (n).


PS /piː ˈes/ UK  US  (= postscript)
P.D.

Homework: writing (over 100 words), p. 114, ex. 2D


No comments: