Tuesday, May 05, 2020

B1 4-5/5/20


4-5/5/20

May the force be with you

Aula Virtual:

I'm selecting very useful links, videos and online activities that can help you.
They are important for the exam.
USE AULA VIRTUAL, PLEASE.
Remember: 
On the top right click on Acceder
Usuario: NRE
Clave: Si no la recordais, decidme la que queréis por email.

P. 132

Flirt- coquetear / tontear

Ex 1b)
No, he doesn’t. The Sales assistant asks him a lot of personal questions.
overwhelmed /ˌəʊvəˈwelmd/- abrumado

sales techniques
1c)

Is there a shop where the shop assistants are particularly friendly?
The Apple store

notions store - mercería sustantivo

Unfriendly

It depends ON the section

I’m just looking

P.  132

Ex. 2 )

Reported speech

They said (to me) that the ticket was very expensive.
They told me that the ticket was very expensive.

Asked /t/
Needed /id/

Where do you work? 
I work in an office round the corner.

The verbs change to the “PAST”->  He asked me where I worked.
I said (that) I worked /t/ in an office round the corner.

THAT can disappear if it is followed by a subject.

He said if I liked football. I said it was OK
Do you like football?
It’s OK

Are you going to watch the England match?
No, I’m not.

What are doing after work?
I’m having dinner with a friend.

When we use the reported speech we talk about a conversation that we had in the past. As a result we change the verbs.


WHAT PEOPLE REALLY SAY 👉 WHAT I SAY WHEN I TALK ABOUT IT

AFFIRMATIVE AND NEGATIVE SENTENCES
A boy: “I live in Murcia”👉 He said/told me (reporting verb) (THAT) he lived in Murcia.
A girl: “I’m reading a very good book”👉She said that she was reading a very good book / She said she was reading a very good book.
Me: “They’ll come tomorrow”👉 You said they would come the day after/the next day.
“We are going to win this match”👉 You said you were going to win that match.
“I didn’t live here”👉 He said that he hadn’t lived there.
“They can pass this test”👉 He said that they could pass that test. 
“I may not finish earlier”👉 She said she might not finish earlier.
“I must finish now”👉 I said that I had to finish then.

These changes are normal, BUT SOMETIMES WE DON’T MAKE THESE CHANGES.
“We were very happy there”👉 They said they were very happy there.

that /ðət/ ●●● S1 W1 conjunction    
1 used after verbs, nouns, and adjectives to introduce a clause which shows what someone says or thinks, or states a fact or reason
- If she said that she’d come, she’ll come.
- If she said she’d come, she’ll come.
- I can’t believe that he’s only 17.
- I can’t believe he’s only 17.


INTERROGATIVE SENTENCES

  1. YES / NO QUESTIONS
 “Are you doing sport today?”👉He asked / wanted to know IF/whether I was doing sport the other day.

IF/whether mean “si” 

“Are you an only child?” 👉She asked (me) if I was an only child

“Do you read a lot?” 👉She wanted to know if I read a lot. (Here I keep the present because we are talking about habits)

“Did you see Peter?” She asked whether I had seen Peter./ She asked if I had seen Peter./ She wanted to know I had seen Peter.

weath‧er /ˈweðə/
wheth‧er /ˈweðə/

  1. OPEN QUESTIONS

“What are you doing?”👉He asked her WHAT she was doing.
“When do you finish?”👉He wanted to know WHEN I finished.
“Why didn’t you answer the phone?”👉She wanted to know why I hadn’t answered the phone.
“How are you going to Italy next summer?”👉They asked them how they were going to Italy the following summer?

ORDER / INSTRUCTIONS

“Sit down, please”👉He asked me / told me TO sit down.

“Don’t smoke here, please”👉 He asked me NOT TO smoke there.

“Answer question number 5”👉He asked me to answer question number 5




Homework: p. 219 ( Grammar Bank)

Peter ( your friend): “My English teacher is crazy” 👉 Peter / he told me that his English teacher was/is crazy.

A friend: “Let me your car, please” 👉 He asked me to let her my car.

“Are you working hard?”👉He asked me If I was working hard.

“HOw old are you?”👉He asked me how old I was.

“They didn’t invite me”👉He said that they hadn’t invited him.


P. 133, ex 3)

For a little purchase / for a small quantity you choose a basket.
  
Can you help me carry the shopping (the things that you have just bought from a shop), please?

A trolley/ˈtrɒli/ (carrito) has wheels and it’s bigger and you can carry your children.


a shopping basket (used to carry things or put things in)

ˈdebit /ˈdebɪt/ card ●●○ noun [countable]    
a plastic card with your signature on that you can use to pay for things. The money is taken directly from your bank account.

re‧ceipt /rɪˈsiːt/ ●●● S2 noun    
1 [countable] a piece of paper that you are given which shows that you have paid for something
- Keep your receipt in case you want to bring it back.

re‧fund /ˈriːfʌnd/ ●●○ noun [countable]    
1 an amount of money that is given back to you if you are not satisfied with the goods or services that you have paid for
- They refused to give me a refund.

Ask for a refund

dis‧count /ˈdɪskaʊnt/ ●●○ S3 W3 noun [countable]    
a reduction in the usual price of something
10% discount/discount of 25% etc
- Members get a 15% discount.

bar‧gain /ˈbɑːɡɪn $ ˈbɑːr-/ ●●○ noun [countable]    
1 something you buy cheaply or for less than its usual price
- There are no bargains in the clothes shops at the moment.

Flea market
(mercado) flea market

To bargain (regatear)

ˈchain store, chainstore /ˈtʃeɪnstɔː $ -stɔːr/ noun [countable]    
one of a group of shops, all of which are owned by one organization SYN chain

deˈpartment ˌstore ●●○ noun [countable]    
a large shop that is divided into separate departments, each selling a different type of goods (bienes)

Shopping mall / centre

Franchise

A library is a place where you can read books.
In a library you borrow the book.

When you want to see if it’s your size ( it fits you) or if it suits you (It looks good on you).

She gives you good advice.

In department stores you have more variety.

Local shops are friendlier and are less crowded.

It’s easier to find your size or your favourite colour.

groceries
[plural] food and other goods that are sold by a grocer or a supermarket.

They send the shopping / the books to your house.
You can’t choose the products.
They are cheaper.
MAybe the device is broken / it doesn’t work / the instructions are in Chinese.
You can buy books in English / another language.

You can find special / unusual books.

gad‧get /ˈɡædʒɪt/ noun [countable]    
a small, useful, and cleverly-designed machine or toolç

de‧vice /dɪˈvaɪs/ ●●○ S3 W2 AWL noun [countable]    
1 a machine or tool that does a special job SYN gadget

Electrical appliances

No comments: