Monday, October 10, 2011

ni2 10/10/11

fair‧ly
1 [+ adjective/adverb] more than a little, but much less than very[↪ quite]:
The house had a fairly large garden.
She speaks English fairly well.
The instructions seem fairly straightforward.
lay‧er [countable]
1 an amount or piece of a material or substance that covers a surface or that is between two other things
layer of
A thick layer of dust lay on the furniture.
The moon was shining through a thin layer of cloud.
He pulled off layer upon layer of clothing (=many layers of clothing).
in layers
Arrange the peppers, garlic and tomatoes in layers.
➔ OZONE LAYER
trick‧y comparative trickier, superlative trickiest
1 something that is difficult to deal with or do because it is complicated and full of problems:
I can get you tickets for the show but it'll be tricky.
2 a tricky person is clever and likely to deceive you [= crafty]

This book is a must (you can’t miss it)
Involvement

To show interest we can use:
Adverbs
Question tags (I’m too tall, aren’t I? it must be Peter, musn’t it? Peter goes crazy every time he sees her, doesn’t he?)
Negative questions to show knowledge
Some verbs: guess, assume…
So/neither do I…

The great, great book of phrasal verbs…
1) You have to go to the gym, haven’t you?
2) It’s very expensive for us, isn’t it?
3) You should play with your brother, shouldn’t you?
4) They will be doing the homework, won’t they?
5) Peter and you have to go home, haven’t you?
6) Mariano wakes up at six o’clock, doesn’t he?
7) There would be less accidents, wouldn’t there?
8) Things here could be harder, couldn’t they?

So/neither
- I can’t look.
- Neither can I / I can
- I feel stressed
- So do I / I don’t

up‧beat
positive and making you feel that good things will happen[≠ downbeat]:
an upbeat message
Tedious
Relief
Isolation
draw [countable]
1 the final result of a game or competition in which both teams or players have the same number of points [= tie]:
The match ended in a draw.


go for
vi + prep
1 (=attack) (physically, verbally) atacar
suddenly the dog went for me de pronto el perro me atacó or fue a por mí
go for him! (to dog) ¡a él!
2 *
(=like, fancy)
I don't go for his films very much no me gustan mucho sus películas
I don't go for that sort of talk no me va esa clase de conversación
I could really go for him! ¡me gusta muchísimo!, ¡me mola cantidad! (Sp) *
I go for quiet, unassuming types me gustan or me van más los tipos callados y sin pretensiones
3 (=strive for) dedicarse a obtener
go for it! * ¡a por ello!, ¡adelante!
I decided to go for it * decidí intentarlo
4 (=choose) escoger, optar por
I'll go for the cream caramel para mí flan
5 IDIOMS to have a lot going for one
he has a lot going for him tiene mucho a su favor
the theory has a lot going for it la teoría cuenta con muchas ventajas

No comments: