Thursday, May 19, 2011

NB2 19-5-2011

EDUCATION
ARTIST: Sam Cooke
TITLE: Wonderful World (Don't Know Much)
Don't know much about history / ‘hɪstəri/
Don't know much biology /baɪ’ɒlədʒi/
Don't know much about a science / ‘saɪəns/ book
Don't know much about the French /frentʃ/ I took
But I do know that I love you
And I know that if you love me too
What a wonderful world this would be

Don't know much about geography /dʒɪ’ɒɡrəfi/
Don't know much trigonometry / ,trɪɡə’nɒmətri/
Don't know much about algebra / ‘ældʒɪbrə/
Don't know what a slide rule is for
But I do know one and one is two
And if this one could be with you
What a wonderful world this would be

Now, I don't claim to be an "A" student
But I'm trying to be
For maybe by being an "A" student baby
I can win your love for me

ARTS also the arts [plural] subjects you can study that are not scientific, for example history, languages etc [↪ humanities]
School subjects
Favourite ['feɪvərɪt]
Maths / history
He told us very interesting things.
I likED reading books
He has lots of happy MEMORIES of his stay in Japan.
Literature / ‘lɪtrətʃə(r)/
At school
Encourage /ɪn’kʌrɪdʒ/
From the age of 8 to the age of 13

I have SOME bread (unc.)/apples(count.)
I don’t have ANY bread (unc.)/apples(count.)
Do you have ANY bread (unc.)/apples(count.)?
Some/any/nothing, Some/any/no one-body, Some/any/nowhere.
We have something in the fridge
We have nothing in the fridge
We don’t have anything in the fridge
Do we have anything in the fridge?
We don’t have nothing in the fridge = WRONG
I met someone in the party
I didn’t see anybody there.
Did you go anywhere this weekend?
I don’ have a car/I haven’t got a car
I haven’t a car = WRONG

I’ve got a sweet tooth.
Hang out with your friend
hang out
phrasal verb
1 informal to spend a lot of time in a particular place or with particular people
hang out with
I don't really know who she hangs out with.
Where do the youngsters hang out?

No comments: