Monday, May 16, 2011

16-5-2011

p. 108, ex.1
A)
1d, 2f, 3c, 4e, 5a, 6b, 7i, 8h, 9g, 10j.
B)
Igloo-whose, muesli-which, tycoon-who, chauffeur-whose, graffiti-which.
C)
That

DEFINING RELATIVE CLAUSES (essential info and not between commas)
This is the girl (who/that-object) I’m going to marry. (if the relative particle is an object refers to sb/sth different to the subject of the relative sentence (who here refers to the girl and the subject after who refers to another person)
This is the girl who/that (Sj) told me she loved me.
That’s the teacher who/that (Sj) corrected the exam.
That’s the teacher (who/that) I found most accessible.
NON-DEFINING RELATIVE CLAUSES
These trainers, which I really like, cost 120 Euros.
Ambiguous /æm’bɪɡjuəs/
p.145
7b)
A)
Despite, even, to, as, order, spite, that, although, for, despite.
B)
…we wouldn’t be late
…she earns a fortune…
…the terrible reviews/the fact that the reviews were terrible/the reviews being terrible.
…the fog was very thick.
…not to offend her.
…to explain the new policy.
7c)
A)
2 it-that, 3 that-which, 4 that-who, 5 who-whom, 6 that-what, 8 who-whose 9 WHAT I just said, 9 what-(that/which).
B)
… ,who is very intelligent, is an architect.
…which/that was a complete surprise.
…what he was saying
…which/that crashed into mine was a mini.
...to whom I spoke-(who/that) I spoke to.
…, which we bought two months ago, keeps on crashing.
…(which/that) I left on the table aren’t there anymore.
It’s too hot in my flat, which makes it impossible to sleep.
p.111, ex 4
postgraduate, rewind, antisocial, misspell, preconceived, ex-husband, semi-final, multinational, underpaid, autograph, monosyllable, microscopic, overworked, biannual.
Undercooked, oversleep, autopilot, postimpressionist, misunderstanding, semicircle / ˈsemiˌsɜːkəl/
p.157, file 7
going, ended, pick, take.

To whom it might concern…

No comments: