Tuesday, February 04, 2020

B1 3-4/2/20

p.77

red underwear
garler
garment

lucky charms

sea‧shell /ˈsiːʃel/ noun [countable]   
Image of seashellthe empty shell of a small sea creature
- jewellery made out of seashells

She sells sea shells by the seashore.
The shells she sells are surely seashells.
So if she sells shells on the seashore,
I'm sure she sells seashore shells.

Sea-ear

Blessed

gem /dʒem/ ●○○ noun [countable]   
1 (also gem stone) a beautiful stone that has been cut into a special shape SYN jewel
- precious gems

A horse shoe

Belief
Believe

Bullfighter
Bullring

Ex. 4

Even
Socks
Legend
Step- paso / pisar
Bounce –botar /  rebotar
A gift- a present

Sports Results
Sense-sentido
athlete /ˈæθliːt/
showed /d/
played /d/
increase /ɪnˈkriːs/ ●●● S2 W1 verb    
[intransitive, transitive] if you increase something, or if it increases, it becomes bigger in amount, number, or degree
OPP decrease, reduce
Experience
Used /d/
Allowed /d/
Performed
Without

Psychologists
rit‧u‧al /ˈrɪtʃuəl/
sugar
chemical /ˈkemɪkəl/ ●●● S3 W3 AWL noun [countable]    
a substance used in chemistry or produced by a chemical process
chemist’s
superstitions
solve
effect
realize
fo‧cus /ˈfəʊkəs $ ˈfoʊ-/ ●●○ S3 W2 AWL verb (focused or focussed, focusing or focussing)   
1 GIVE ATTENTION TO SOMETHING [intransitive, transitive] to give special attention to one particular person or thing, or to make people do this SYN concentrate
focus on

club
changing room
psy‧chol‧o‧gist /saɪˈkɒlədʒɪst/

psycho /ˈsaɪkəʊ $ -koʊ/ noun (plural psychos) [countable]   
informal someone who is mentally ill and who may behave in a violent or strange way

have a screw loose
informal to be slightly crazy

nuts /nʌts/ adjective [not before noun] informal   
1 crazy
- Are you nuts?
- I’m going to go nuts (=become crazy) if I don’t find a new job soon.

Homework: p. 77 ex. 4 c and d + p. 212, a and b

P. 78
Referee
Swear- decir tacos / jurar
Insult the referee
Role model
Cancel a football match
There was tension
I didn’t like people’s attitude.

Cross my heart (and hope to die)
Spoken- informal used to say that you promise that you will do something, or that what you are saying is true

cheat /tʃiːt/ ●●○ S3 verb   
1 [intransitive, transitive] to behave in a dishonest way in order to win or to get an advantage, especially in a competition, game, or examination
- He had cheated in the test by using a calculator.
 Don’t look at my cards – that’s cheating.
cheat at
- She claimed that I cheated at chess.

Cheat sheet

A foul
Fall over in the penalty area
Fair play
Fair contest

Ex. 5
That didn’t influence me
He a was a good handball player
Federation
Impossible to pick just one
A woman with a baby and almost dropped the bay
There’s so much money that it’s important to win

Simulation- a player pretends that has been fouled
Fair contest
con‧test /ˈkɒntest $ ˈkɑːn-/ ●●○ W3 noun [countable]   
1 a competition or a situation in which two or more people or groups are competing with each other

Forward – striker - left/right forward – midfielder – defender- goal keeper

behaviour British English, behavior American English /bɪˈheɪvjə $ -ər/ ●●● S2 W1 noun [uncountable]   
1 the things that a person or animal does
- It is important to reward good behaviour.

ˌfair ˈplay noun [uncountable]   
1 playing according to the rules of a game without cheating
- rules designed to ensure fair play

p. 79
tri‧ath‧lon /traɪˈæθlən/ noun [countable]   
a sports competition in which competitors run, swim, and cycle long distances

by a long way
by a large amount
 He was the best in the group by a long way.
Who stopped
Instead- en lugar de
Stages
Saw
Helped

instead used when saying that a particular thing is used or happens and not another thing, or that someone does something and not another person
There were no single rooms, so instead I booked a double.
Chris couldn't go to the meeting, so I said that I would go instead.
Can I have soup instead of salad?
I really wished it had been me instead of him.

Past continuous (continuous action in the past)

He was winning by a long way
He was running behind him

Last weekend I got up at 10 and had a shower. Then I bought some churros with chocolate. When I came back my wife was watching TV.

Past perfect (an action previous to another action in the past)

He’d gone very fast in the cycling stage
He hadn’t drunk enough water
He had stopped
Who had been behind them until then

Last weekend I got up at 10 and had a shower. Then I bought some churros with chocolate. When I came back my wife had cleaned the kitchen.

Expressed /t/ passed /t / pressed /t/
Linked /t/
I was watching TV when my sister called me.
While I was watching TV my sister called me.
Booked /t/ parked /t/

Compare
arrived /d/ lived /d/
Knocked /t/ worked /t/
Finished /t/ washed /t/ pushed /t/

howjsay.com

divided /id/ decided /id/
parted /id/ existed /id/

spare key/battery/clothes etc
a key etc that you keep in addition to the one you usually use, so that it is available if the one you usually use breaks, gets lost etc
- a spare key
- Bring a towel and some spare clothes.


No comments: