Tuesday, February 25, 2020

B1 24-25/2/20

p. 213

a)
I didn’t used to
My sister never used to want…
How did you use to keep in touch…?
They usually go on holiday…
Did your parents meet each other at university?
My husband used to work…
We usually go to a play…

Correct the sentences
He doesn’t use to get good grades.
He doesn’t usually get good grades
He didn’t use to get good grades.

I don’t use to go out with my friends when I was I child.
I didn’t use to go out with my friends when I was I child.

I never didn’t use to eat in an Italian restaurant when I was child.
I never used to eat in an Italian restaurant when I was child.
I didn’t use to eat in an Italian restaurant when I was child.

In the afternoon I use to do my homework.
In the afternoon I usually do my homework.

My grandfather normally used to watch TV very loud.
My grandfather normally watches TV very loud.

Now I used to meet my friends at weekends.
Now I usually meet my friends at weekends.

I didn’t usually to eat vegetables when I was a kid.
I didn’t use to eat vegetables when I was a kid.

I used go to bed early.
I used to go to bed early.
I usually go to bed early.

Do they used to live in Murcia?
Did they use to live in Murcia?
Do they usually live in Murcia?

My husband used to work in a bank.
My husband is getting used to working in a bank

USED TO + INF
BE USED TO / GET USED TO+ VERB +ING

I used to cycle to work.

I’m used to cycling to work.
I wasn’t used to cycling to work.

I got used to cycling to work.
I will get used to living in a foreign country.

We are 3 brothers and sisters.
We used to be 4 but one passed away.

b)
We used to have a lot in common…
Usually go
I didn’t use to watch…
Do you usually play…?
Usually eat out
Where did your husband use to work…?
She never used to be so slim
Did you use to argue…?
L usually gets on really well with her flatmates…
Didn’t use to speak to me

Speak to somebody 
I spoke to her last Wednesday.

discuss /dɪˈskʌs/ ●●● S2 W1 verb [transitive]   
1 to talk about something with another person or a group in order to exchange ideas or decide something
- Littman refused to discuss the case publicly.

Argue /ˈɑːɡjuː $ ˈɑːr-/ ●●● S2 W1 verb   
1 [intransitive] to disagree with someone in words, often in an angry way
- We could hear the neighbours arguing.
argue with
- Gallacher continued to argue with the referee throughout the game.

p. 82

Shaking hands
Give me a (high)five
Suit
Smart

Pony tail
Sports clothes
Landscape

vet /vet/ ●●○ S3 noun [countable]   
1 (also veterinary surgeon British English formal) someone who is trained to give medical care and treatment to sick animals SYN veterinarian American English

Mug
blouse /blaʊz $ blaʊs/ ●●● S3 noun [countable]   
a shirt for women
- a silk blouse

part‧ner1 /ˈpɑːtnə $ ˈpɑːrtnər/ ●●● S2 W2 AWL noun [countable]   
1 MARRIAGE ETC one of two people who are married, or who live together and have a sexual relationship → husband, wife
2 BUSINESS one of the owners of a business
 She’s a partner in a law firm.

get on phrasal verb
1 LIKE SOMEBODY especially British English if people get on, they like each other and have a friendly relationship with each other
with
- I’ve always got on well with Henry.
- The two boys get on well most of the time.
Checked ≠ striped
Shout

3, 4, 6, 5, 1, 2

fi‧an‧cée /fiˈɒnseɪ $ ˌfiːɑːnˈseɪ/
fi‧an‧cé /fiˈɒnseɪ $ ˌfiːɑːnˈseɪ/ ●●○ noun [countable]   
the man who a woman is going to marry

got to know
become friends
had a lot in common
went out together
were together
broke up
lost touch
got in touch
got on
proposed
got married

ex. 4d
mem‧ber‧ship /ˈmembəʃɪp $ -ər-/ ●●● S3 W2 noun   
1 [uncountable] when someone is a member of a club, group, or organization
membership of
- Greece first applied for membership of the EU in 1975.

Ex. 4e
Relationship
Membership
Leadership
Partnership
Friendship

Ex. 5
Animals
Social media
Productive
Love
Health

1-Chimpanzee, horses, elephants, dolphins and bats (even with animals that aren’t from their species)
2-Easier to stay in touch
Lost touch because of distance or lack of time
3-happier=work better
Friends with the boss – people will trust you less
4-he/she displaces 2 people
5-less stressed and live longer
50% is more likely to have a long life.

be friends (with somebody)
I’m friends with Peter
I made friends with Peter at school
COLLOCATIONSADJECTIVES/NOUN + FRIEND
somebody’s best friend (=the friend you like the most)
Fiona was her best friend.
a good/close friend (=one of the friends you like the most)
She’s a good friend of mine.
a dear friend (=a friend who is very important to you)
I’d like you to meet a dear friend of mine.
an old friend (=someone who has been your friend for a long time)
We went to see some old friends who had moved to Harlow.
a lifelong friend (=someone who has been your friend for the whole of your life)
The two men were lifelong friends.
a childhood friend (=someone who was your friend when you were a child)
She had been a childhood friend of Tony Walker.
a school friend
I met some old school friends for lunch.
a family friend

He’s visiting family friends.

No comments: