Tuesday, February 18, 2020

B1 17-18/2/20

Progress test (1-5)
1)
Did you wake up
Had lost
Have you ever eaten
I’m making
Were playing
Retire
Do
Is leaving / is going to
I’ve already got / gotten
Had started
2)
More
For
Should
Use (wolf /wʊlf/)
I usually go by car – I used to go by car
Won’t
Can’t - cannot
The
Anymore
Being
Ought to
I ought to go
I should to go – I must to go, I can to go
I have to go - I want to go - I need to go
3)
won’t see
didn’t use to – didn’t used to
I’m not going to…
Didn’t win
Don’t have to leave
4)
Do we have to work this evening?
Have you bought the tickets yet?
How long have you been learning the violin?
Shall I get you a glass of water?
How much money did you inherit?
5)
A, b, a, a, a, b, b, b, a, a
6)
2J, 3f, 4a, 5k, 6g, 7b, 8i, 9c, 10h, 11d
7)
I’m tired – The match is tiring
B, a, c, b, b, c, a, c, b, a
really tiny
fascinated by
amazed at/by
reliable people
fed up with
really tiny / huge
interested in
pleased with
proud of
8)
Rank, crowd, ex, stadium, couple, zone, stepchildren, salary, insurance, goal
9)
To, of, stuck, on, paid, about, work, on, back, together
be stuck/caught/held up in traffic
Sorry I’m late – I was stuck in traffic.
live on something 
to have a particular amount of money to buy food and other necessary things 
- I don’t know how they manage to live on £55 a week.
10)
B, d, a, b, c, b, d, b, b,
prawn /prɔːn/
home /həʊm/ alone
raw /rɔː/
pro‧fes‧sion‧al /prəˈfeʃənəl/ 
bridge /brɪ/
ma‧chine /məˈʃiːn/ 
bull – cook - full
boot – afternoon – food -
phone – coach – sociable – leftover
clock – honest – horrible – responsible

rummage /ˈrʌmɪdʒ/ verb [intransitive always + adverb/preposition]   
(also rummage around/about) to search for something by moving things around in a careless or hurried way
rummage in/through etc
- Looks like someone’s been rummaging around in my desk.

plummet /ˈplʌmɪt/ (also plummet down) verb [intransitive]   
1 to suddenly and quickly decrease in value or amount SYN plunge
plummet from something to something
- Profits plummeted from £49 million to £11 million

goodies /ˈɡʊdiz/
things that are nice to eat, such as cakes and chocolates

cabin /ˈkæbɪn/ ●●○ noun [countable]   
1 a small house, especially one built of wood in an area of forest or mountains
-       a log cabin

cater /ˈkeɪtə $ -ər/ ●○○ verb [intransitive, transitive]   
to provide and serve food and drinks at a party, meeting etc, usually as a business
cater for
- This is the biggest event we’ve ever catered for.

coaster /ˈkəʊstə $ ˈkoʊstər/ noun [countable]   
1 a small thin object on which you put a glass

butt /bʌt/ noun [countable]   
1 PART OF YOUR BODY American English informal the part of your body that you sit on SYN buttocks
 a baby’s soft little butt
→ be a pain in the butt
2 CIGARETTE the end of a cigarette after most of it has been smoked

pitch in phrasal verb informal
1 to join others and help with an activity

- If we all pitch in, we’ll have it finished in no time.

No comments: