Tuesday, November 05, 2019

B1 4-5/11/19

In order to
in order to do something > for the purpose of doing something
- Samuel trained every day in order to win the race.

Holy week

Save for a rainy day.

ˈHoly Week noun [singular]   
the week before Easter in the Christian church

olive oil
electricity bill
cleaning products
cycling trip
beauty treatment/ˈtriːtmənt/
tap water

car‧ton /ˈkɑːtn $ ˈkɑːrtn/ ●○○ noun [countable]   
1  a small box made of cardboard or plastic that contains food or a drink
carton of
- a carton of fruit juice
- a milk carton

Parking space/place/spot
- I couldn’t find a parking space near the shops.

brand /brænd/ ●●○ noun [countable]   
1 a type of product made by a particular company, that has a particular name or design → make
brand of
- What brand of detergent do you use?

Supermarket brand
Tram
Unfair
p. 26, ex. 2
/ʌ/ done, money, nothing, some, won, worry
/ɒ/ borrow, cost, dollar, honest, promise, shopping
/əʊ/ clothes, loan, note, owe, sold,

Afford- əˈfɔːd
Mortgage- mɔːɡɪdʒ
Order- ˈɔːdə
Organised- ˈɔːɡənaɪzd
Store- stɔː

Work- wɜːk
Worth- wɜːθ

This TV is worth $400.
It is worth buying this TV.

Past simple

Finished action (normally with the exact time).
Murcia football club won the league last year.
I didn’t have breakfast this morning.
Narrating in the past.
Last Sunday I got up at ten, then I had churros for breakfast and I went for a walk.

I was curious about the debate.
You weren’t there.
Were they tired?

Nobody answered the phone.
They didn’t speak in the meeting.
Did she pass the exam?

Present perfect
Talk about recent actions
I’ve just turned on the TV.
With some particles (just, yet, already, since…)
Has she answered yet?
When we don’t say WHEN exactly.
I’ve been to NY.
Or when it’s a repeated action in the past.
I’ve been to NY three times.
To talk about something (sth written abbreviation for something) that started in the past, continues in the present and will continue in the future.
I’ve lived here for three years.
To talk about something in the past that is relevant in the present.
I’ve studied English (at a job interview).

I haven’t seen her today
Have you decided yet?
She’s (has) answered everything OK.

USAGE: Yet, still, already
Yet is used to say that something has not happened or a situation has not started to exist:
- It isn’t time to go yet.
•Yet is also used to ask if something has happened:
- Have you seen him yet?
Still is used to say that an earlier situation has not changed:
- This system is still used today.
- I still don’t understand.
- Don’t say: This system is yet used today.
Already is used to emphasize that something has happened or a situation has started to exist:
- He has already published two novels.
- They already knew one another.
Already is also used in questions to show surprise that something has happened sooner than expected:
-Have they all gone already?

In the present simple with have normally we don’t use the contracted form…
She has 4 brothers.
…except if it’s HAVE GOT.
She’s GOT 4 brothers.


She’s got lots of presents
I’ve got the letter today

p. 28 ex. 4

I’ve just bought, did they cost, were, have you seen, arrived, bought, didn’t need, worked, needed, needed.

Lent, wasted, bought, inherited, taken out, bought, sold, lost, forgotten, lost, won.

Hiccup

Homework: Grammar Bank, p 206, 2A (a and b)

I usually use my credit card.

I used to pay by credit card.
I use to pay by credit card.
I usually pay by credit card.

p. 29, ex. 6


business, died last month, their, need, can transfer, dollars, account, it, I want to organize, your.

No comments: