Tuesday, November 19, 2019

B1 19/11/19

Emphasis
What have you done this evening?
I’ve read a book (completed action)
I’ve been reading a book (duration)

blunt knives (knife)
wife – wives

p. 207, 2B
a)
She’s been studying…
How long have they been watching TV?
It’s (has) been raining since lunchtime.
I haven’t been living here for very long.
How long have you been learning to drive?

b)
for, haven’t seen, have you known,
I’ve worked/ I’ve been working, I’ve been cleaning.

c) We’ve known each other since we were children.
The children have been playing / have played computer games for 2 hours.
How long has your sister had this hairstyle? / Has your sister had that hairstyle for a long time? (How long have you been wearing glasses? How long have you been having problems at work?)
I’ve loved her since the day we met.
My internet connection hasn’t worked / been working since yesterday.
How long have you been waiting?
I’ve been a teacher for 3 years.
It’s been snowing since 5 this morning.
Sam hasn’t been studying/hasn’t studied enough recently.
Have you lived / been living in London for a long time?


I’ve studied English for 2 years.
(a) Action completed in the past but you don’t say exactly when, b) action finished recently and the past or that still continues, c) action that finished in the past, but is relevant in the present (as job interview)

I’ve been studying English for 2 years.

I studied English for 2 years when I was 20.

The outskirts of Murcia.


p. 188

adorable /əˈdɔːrəbəl/
isle /aɪl/
island /ˈaɪlənd/

Homework: do exercise 2a and send me an informal email (ex. 2c)

also /ˈɔːlsəʊ $ ˈɒːlsoʊ/ ●●● S1 W1 adverb   
1 in addition to something else that you have mentioned → as well, too
- She sings beautifully and also plays the flute and piano.
- The system was not only complicated but also ineffective.
Register
In written English, avoid starting a sentence with also. Use furthermore or moreover instead, or put also before the main verb:
Also, it costs more. → Furthermore, it costs more. | It also costs more.

isle /aɪl/ noun [countable]   
a word for an island, used in poetry or in names of islands
- the British Isles

Say hello from me to Peter

PS (also P.S. American English) /ˌpiː ˈes/ ●●○ noun [countable]   
(postscript) a note written at the end of a letter, adding more information → PPS
- She added a PS to say ‘hi’ to my brother.
- Best wishes, Julie. PS Maggie sends her love.

Attach> [transitive] to connect a document or file to an email so that you can send them together → attachment

of‧ten /ˈɒfən, ˈɒftən/

Looking forward to seeing you, meeting you, hearing from you, having you here…

Looking forward to the party, the meeting, the wedding, our holidays…


I’ve been helping this charity for almost a year,
I’ve known since we were children.

kindergarten /ˈkɪndəɡɑːtn $ -dərɡɑːrtn/ noun [countable, uncountable]   
1 American English> a school or class for children aged five
2 British English> a school for children aged two to five SYN nursery school
I’ve been using Instagram for 4 years.
I’ve been living in my house since always / all my life.

Cover the expenses.
Earthquake


P. 32

What a relief!
challenge /ˈtʃæləndʒ/ ●●● S2 W2 AWL noun   
1 SOMETHING DIFFICULT [countable, uncountable] something that tests strength, skill, or ability, especially in a way that is interesting
There are races in favour of some charities to help people with problems like cancer.
Supermarkets collect food for poor people.
Music concerts, marathons, bullfights…
Earthquakes
Raise money…

Slopes

afraid /əˈfreɪd/ ●●● S1 W2 adjective [not before noun]   
1 frightened because you think that you may get hurt or that something bad may happen SYN scared
be/feel afraid
- There’s no need to be afraid.
afraid of something
- Many children are afraid of the dark.

cockroach /ˈkɒk-rəʊtʃ $ ˈkɑːk-roʊtʃ/ (also roach American English) noun [countable]   
Image of cockroacha large black or brown insect that lives in dirty houses, especially if they are warm and there is food to eat

Disgusting
A draw
A Kayak is a long a thing boat.
disadvantaged /ˌdɪsədˈvɑːntɪdʒd◂ $ -ˈvæn-/ ●○○ adjective   
1 having social problems, such as a lack of money or education, which make it difficult for you to succeed
- disadvantaged areas of the city


bot‧tom /ˈbɒtəm $ ˈbɑː-/ (Ass / arse > arsehole)

No comments: