Tuesday, October 23, 2018

A2 22-23/10/18



Exercises p. 7 (Correction)

Pronunciation in questions:
Open question ⇣
Yes/No questions ⇡

He, her, him

555 -> five, double five
mar‧ried /ˈmærid/

you’re /jə; jɔːr/
aren’t /ɑːnt $ ˈɑːrənt/

steak stick butcher

Possesives
I-> my
You-> your
He-> his
She-> her
It-> its

It’s a present
That’s its house (its= of the dog)

They’re /ðə; strong ðeə, ðeɪə $ ðər strong ðer, ðeɪər/  brothers
That’s their /ðə; strong ðeə $ ðər strong ðer/ car

p. 8
I have 19
I am 19 years

VERB GO
I go to-> school / university / church / the supermarket / hospital/ I go to my house
BUT -> I go home

I go to home / I go house

APOSTROPHE S (’S) CAN BE
The genitive: Peter’s car
The verb to be: Peter’s a student. Where’s Peter?
The verb have: He’s (has) (got) 3 brothers

He has a dog / a coffee / a shower / lunch
He doesn’t have… / Does he have…?
He hasn’t a dog.
He has got a dog / a coffee / a shower / lunch
He hasn’t got… / Has he got…?

USAGE /ˈjuːsɪdʒ/: Have got, have
• In British spoken English, people usually use have got instead of have for many of its meanings. 
Have sounds more formal and is the usual choice in written English. You say:He's got a cold.
You write: He has a cold.
• In questions in British spoken English, Have you got ...? is often used instead of Do you have ...? 
You say: Have you got his address?
You write: Do you have his address?
• In negative sentences in British spoken English, you use haven't got or hasn't got. You say: He hasn't got any money.
You write: He does not have any money.
• Have got is mainly used in the present tense. In the past tense you usually use had, and in the future you usually use will have.
• In American English, have got is much less common. It is used when you want to emphasize what you are saying:
He's got a gun!
It is also often used in the phrase have got to (=have to): We've got to go.
• In negative sentences, British speakers often say I haven't got ... where American speakers say I don't have ... 
In questions, British speakers say Have you got ...? where American speakers say Do you have ...?

GRAMMAR: Singular or plural verb?
• In senses 1 and 2, family is usually followed by a singular verb:
The family now lives in London.
My family comes from Scotland originally.
• In British English, you can also use a plural verb:
The family now live in London.
My family come from Scotland originally.


My family want/wants to buy a new car

No comments: