Wednesday, October 30, 2013

30-31/10/13

Homework: p. 22-23, reading (C+D), p. 23, grammar (A) and p. 25, grammar (B+C).

I don’t regret a single thing.

Rip sb off phrasal verb informal
To cheat someone by making them pay too much money for something
We were ripped off by the first taxi driver.

Rip-off /ˈrɪpɒf/ noun [ C ] informal
Something that costs far too much money
The drinks here are a complete rip-off.

He's really angry at/with me for upsetting Sophie.

Report: TELL [T] to tell someone in authority that something has happened, especially an accident or crime.
He should have reported the accident immediately.
Have you reported the fault to a technician?
Have/carry sth on you
To have something with you
Do you have your driving licence on you?
Be on me/him, etc
Informal used to show who is paying for something
This meal is on me.
pour /pɔːr / verb
He poured a cup of coffee and gave it to Isabel.
She poured the dirty water down the drain.
Pour the juice into a jug with ice and lemon.
Pour the beer slowly into the glass.
I spilled some wine as I was pouring him a glass.
Pour v LIQUID pour /pɔːr / [T]
To make a liquid flow from or into a container
I poured the milk into a jug.
[+ two objects] Can I pour you a drink?

Pour v RAIN pour /pɔːr / [I] (pour down v, at pour v also UK pour down)
To rain, producing a lot of water.
We can't go out in this weather - it's pouring!

Chilly /ˈtʃɪli/ adjective
1 COLD unpleasantly cold
A chilly evening
2 UNFRIENDLY
He gave me a chilly look.

ˌ Bank ˈ holiday noun [ C ] UK
An official holiday when all banks and most shops and offices are closed
Spring bank holiday

I would like to know what places I can visit…
Other + plural – another + singular
Scenery (uncountable)
Recommend sth to sb
I recommend this book to anyone with an interest in chemistry.
In the mountain
Sightseeing
Can you recommend…?
4 km from
Another one
How can I go to Lorca?
Near
The nearest city to Bullas
Having dinner
Cosy
Recommend a good restaurant to you
It’s easy to get there.
In the middle of the c…
Breathtaking
/ˈskʌlptʃər //mjuːˈziːəm//ˈɪntrəstɪŋ/
Thinking of/about visiting…
Can you recommend sth to me?

Ma ˈ chine ˌ gun noun [ C ]
A gun that fires a lot of bullets very quickly

Soaking /ˈsəʊkɪŋ/ adjective
Completely wet
You're soaking - why didn't you take an umbrella?
The dog was soaking wet .


No comments: