Thursday, October 10, 2013

ni2 10-14/10/13

Homework: grammar reference, p. 137

PAST SIMPLE
Yesterday I got up at 7, then I had breakfast, after that I had a shower.
PAST CONTINOUS
I was cooking when the postman rang the bell.
PAST PERFECT
Yesterday I read the book that you had lent me.

Toothpick

I was doing a course.

Last year
Continue to do sth
I was a quarter of an hour later.

The boy woke up late. Then, when he was at the station he realised that had forgotten his book. He came back home, but he didn’t have his keys and his friend couldn’t help him because he was sleeping.
She was looking for a flat to rent. She had visited a flat before class but it was very expensive. The boy offered her a room.

Miss the train

STOP:
He was very tired so he stopped running.
He stopped to drink some water.

A spare room.

How are you? Fine
What is sth like?

/ˈemfəsaɪz/
/ɪgˈzɔːstɪd/
/ˈfjʊəriəs/
/rɪˈlækst/

terrific /təˈrɪfɪk/ adjective
1 EXCELLENT excellent
a terrific opportunity
I thought she looked terrific.

I was fed up with all that loud music.(to be fed up with)
ˌ fed ˈ up adjective informal
[ never before noun ] annoyed or bored by something that you have experienced for too long
I'm fed up with my job.


Overwhelming /ˌəʊvəˈwelmɪŋ/ adjective
Very strong in effect or large in amount
An overwhelming feeling of sadness
They won by an overwhelming majority .
overwhelmingly adverb

ˌ Bank ˈ holiday noun [ C ] UK
An official holiday when all banks and most shops and offices are closed
Spring bank holiday

Cristal clear

Refurbish /ˌriːˈfɜːbɪʃ/ verb [ T ]
Formal: to repair or improve a building

He woke up late and when he was going to the class, he realised that he had forgotten the book so he came back to try to take it but his flatmate didn’t open the door.

She had visited some flats and she came late because she was also making some phone calls before class to find a flat to share.


ˌ fed ˈ up adjective informal
[ Never before noun ] annoyed or bored by something that you have experienced for too long
I'm fed up with my job.

I’m sick and tired of…

A friend of mine…


"The writing on the wall", or "the handwriting on the wall", or "the writing is on the wall" or "Mene Mene", is an idiom for "imminent doom or misfortune"

No comments: