Tuesday, May 08, 2012

nb2 8/5/12


Homework: grammar bank p. 140, 8A a and b + read the text on page 90 and do exercise 1 (the answers to the quiz are on p. 111)

where 1 /hwer/ ||/weə(r)/
were /wɜːr / || /wɜː(r)/ , weak form /wər / || /wə(r)/
/weə(r)  wə(r) juː?/
whether / ˈhweðər / || / ˈweðə(r)/
weather 1 / ˈweðər / || / ˈweðə(r)/
interesting / ˈɪntrəstɪŋ/
interested / ˈɪntrəstəd / || / ˈɪntrəstɪd/
whether
1 used when talking about a choice you have to make or about something that is not certain:
Maurice asked me whether I needed any help.
There were times when I wondered whether or not we would get there.


SOME, ANY and NO

Some (indefinite quantity) positive sentences:
- I have some apples/sugar.
In negative and interrogative sentences it becomes ANY:
- I haven’t got/don’t have any apples / sugar*
- Have you got any apples / sugar?
* In English double negatives are wrong. We can’t say: “I don’t have no apples” (←WRONG), but you can use the particle “no” + a noun = I have got no apples / sugar (←RIGHT)
 Any can be used in a negative sentence to avoid double negation, BUT ALSO IN AFIRMATIVE SENTENCES: I’ll have any fruit. (THE MEANING HERE IS: cualquiera (tomaré cualquier fruta))


+ - I like some of the songs in this record
- - I don’t like any of the songs in this record– I like no song in this record.
? - Do you like any of the songs in this record?
+ - I like any of the songs in this record (= I like all of them).

REMEMBER: I don’t like no song in this record = I like all of them ≠ I don’t like any song in this record = I hate all of them.

(en  la lengua cotidiana si se usa pero es incorrecto:)

COLLOCATIONS 
have fun (=have an enjoyable time)
good/great fun especially British English
a lot of fun especially American English (It wasn’t much/a lot of  fun)


Grammar Explanation: -ed & -ing adjectives

We use -ing or 'ing' adjectives to give more information about things. So if we go to see a really dull film, and nothing much happens, and the film even makes me feel quite sleepy, I can say that the film was boring. I use an –ing adjective (boring) to describe the film.

Mark: I watched that film on television last night. It was really boring. I was just bored by it.

He uses the –ing adjective to describe the film. 

Mark: It was really boring. 

But if I want to talk about my feelings about the film – how the film affected me, I use an –ed or 'ed' adjective – I was bored. Here's Mark again: 
Mark: I was just bored by it.

He uses the –ed adjective to describe his feelings about the film. 
Mark: I was just bored by it.

So it's –ing adjectives for other things, and –ed adjectives for my feelings. The film was boring, and I was bored. Now there are only a certain number of adjectives that work like this.

The most common ones are:
Bored / boring
Excited / exciting
Interested / interesting
Embarrassed / embarrassing
Tired / tiring
Shocked / shocking
Annoyed / annoying
Frightened / frightening
And finally, worried / worrying.


Do you go to school every day?
Did you go to school yesterday?
Are you going to go to school tomorrow?


Somebody, anybody, nobody…

Los compuestos de some y any actúan de la misma manera que estos, es decir, some-, para la afirmativa y, any-, para la interrogativa y la negativa, aunque empleamos some- en la interrogativa para peticiones, ofrecimientos o cuando esperamos una respuesta afirmativa, como ya dijimos en la unidad anterior. Ejemplos:

I saw somebody there. (Vi a alguien allí.)

I did not see anybody there. (No vi a nadie allí.)

Did you see anybody there? (¿Viste a alguien allí?)

Would you like something better? (¿Quiere algo mejor?)


En vez de I did not see anybody there, también se puede decir I saw nobody there.
Lo que no se puede hacer es negar dos veces: *I did not see nobody there.


Da lo mismo decir somebody que someoneanybody que anyonenobody que no-oneNo-one se puede escribir también no one.


Any también puede significar "cualquier(a)":

You can take any pencil. (Puedes coger cualquier lápiz / Puedes coger el lapiz que quieras.)

Anybody can do it. It's very easy. (Cualquiera sabe hacerlo. Es muy fácil.)



Ya para terminar, véamos los siguientes ejemplos:

Somebody told me you were abroad. (Alguien me dijo que estabas en el extranjero.)

Nobody came to the meeting. 
(Nadie fue a la reunión.)

Was there anybody in the house? 
(¿Había alguien en la casa?)

I want something to eat. (Quiero algo de comer.)

I don't need anything. (No necesito nada.)

I need nothing. (No necesito nada.)

Would you like something to drink? (¿Quieres algo de beber?)

Is there anything in that drawer? (¿Hay algo en ese cajón?)

I want to go somewhere else. 
(Quiero ir a otro sitio.)

I didn't go anywhere. (No fui a ningún sitio.)

I went nowhere. (No fui a ningún sitio.)

Have you seen my car keys anywhere? 
(¿Has visto las llaves del coche en alguna parte?)


Ejercicios:

Rellene los espacios en blanco con somebodyanybodynobodysomethinganything,nothingsomewhereanywhere o nowhere.

  1.  I know __________ about this issue that you may find interesting, but if I tell you, you must promise to keep it (a) secret.

  2.  __________ lives here. There is no water.

  3.  I spent the night __________ near the beach.

  4.  __________ could have jumped over this wall, and stole your rake. It's very low.

  5.  __________ scares him. He's very brave.

  6.  There is __________ to park here. Let's go __________ else to park.

  7.  Would you like __________ to wash your hands?.

  8.  May I have __________ for dessert, please?

  9.  They took him __________ in London, and he never returned.

10.  Please don't leave __________ behind at home. We'll be away for a fortnight.

11.  She needs __________ to love. She's very lonely.

12.  They will not sing __________ in this city. They said that they would never come back.

13.  There isn't __________ you can do to help them. __________ can help them.

14.  We do not need __________ else to run this department. We can do it ourselves.

15.  __________ is ringing the bell. Go and see who it is.

16.  __________ phoned while we were out, but they did not leave a message.

17.  __________ tells me that there is __________ fishy going on .

18.  They are looking for __________ to settle down and have children. They want to find a quiet place to lead a quiet life.

19.  "Where would you like to stay?"

       "__________ will do provided it is a clean place."

20.  "Is there __________ at home?"

       "I don't think there is __________. Mum and dad must have gone out."


Autor: Miquel Molina i Diez (Polseguera.com)

Soluciones: (Le recordamos que en vez de anybody, nobody y somebody, se puede usaranyone, no-one y someone respectivamente.)

  1.  something

  2.  Nobody (Nothing es también posible si lo queremos hacer más drástico.)

  3.  somewhere

  4.  Anybody

  5.  Nothing / Nobody (La primera alternativa tal vez sea mejor, pero esto depende del contexto.)

  
6.  nowhere, somewhere

  7.  something

  8.  something

  9.  somewhere

10.  anything

11.  somebody

12.  anywhere

13.  anything, Nobody

14.  anybody

15.  Somebody

16.  Somebody

17.  Something, something

18.  somewhere

19.  Anywhere

20.  anybody, anybody


No comments: