Thursday, January 30, 2020

B1 29-30/1/20

p. 69 - 69
Peter is friendly (ADJ)
Peter is friendlier than John.

Peter drives carefully (ADV)
Peter drives more carefully than John.

Healthy- healthier

• Use as in comparisons in the expression as ... as, with an adjective or adverb in between:
Basketball is as popular as football here.
He can’t sing as well as his brother.
• As is also used after be the same (age/size etc):
He is the same age (N) as me.

Bad – worse – the worst

He is faster than me / you / him / her / us / them (object pronoun)
What a nice present! / an interesting meeting!…

After breakfast / lunch / dinner
Before breakfast / lunch / dinner
I had a sandwich for breakfast / lunch / dinner

Women work harder than men.
The women in this class work harder than the men.

next week/year/Monday etc
- We’re hoping to open the factory sometime next year.
the next day/week etc (=on or during the following day, week etc)

I’ll can / must / should
I’ll be able to / have to

Desert
Dessert

Landed /id/ blended, ended, decided

When he was 5, he could already swim.
When he was 5, he was already able to swim.


Speed limits, seatbelts, cycle lanes, rush hour, taxi rank.

Prague /prɑːɡ/

Apologise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k0MXp_WTk4

arrive to

apologize to 
I think you should apologize to your brother. (a person)
apologize for (doing) something 
He later apologized for his behaviour. (something)
arrive IN (cities and countries) / AT (places), apologize FOR, Keen ON, good / bad AT, remind ME OF

traffic, van / vehicle, ferry / flight / freeway, set off, take

set off phrasal verb
to start to go somewhere
- I’ll set off early to avoid the traffic.

I was bored / It was boring
I was frightened / It was frightening
We are excited / the holiday is exciting.
I’m disappointed / the results are disappointing.
I’m depressed / the programme is depressing.

The lazy song

hang up phrasal verb
1 to finish a telephone conversation
- I said goodbye and hung up.

Leave a message / the line’s engaged / hung up /swiped / ringtone

Hit the road
passenger

5, 3, 6, 4, 1, 2

Both provide children with equally valuable experience.
Pragmatic – want to know the score


p. 76

ball /bɔːl/ caught, course, court, draw, fought, score, sport, warm up, worse
world /wɜːld/
work /wɜːk/ but walk /wɔːk/
hurt

No comments: