Tuesday, January 14, 2020

B1 13-14/1/20

p.210
MUST
spoken used to suggest that someone should do something, especially because you think they will enjoy it or you think it is a good idea
- ‘We must do this again, ’ he said. ‘I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly.’

Some companies have dress codes

Mustn’t

MUST in the past = had to

I love (not) having to get up early…

It was free so I didn’t have to pay.

I don’t think you should call her
I think you shouldn’t call her.

In negative sentences, you say I don’t think:
I don’t think that’s right.
I don’t think he liked it.
Don’t say: I think that isn’t right. | I think he didn’t like it.

I (don’t) have to do it today.
I haven’t got to do it today.
I haven’t to do it today.

I have an exam today.
I don’t have an exam today.
I haven’t got an exam today.
I haven’t an exam today.

I must / have to do it today.
I had to do it yesterday.
I didn’t have to do it.
I hadn’t to do it.

You should / ought to go

GRAMMAR: Patterns with ought to
• You say that someone ought to do something:
You ought to explain.
• You say that someone ought not to do something:
She ought not to go.
• You can also use oughtn’t:
She oughtn’t to go.
She oughtn’t to have gone.
• You ask ought someone to do something:
Ought we to tell them?
• You ask ought someone to have done something:
Ought we to have told them?

4 u
How r u
C u l8r

Ex. 2, p. 60

I can’t stand when people don’t look at you when they speak.

Most of the situations here are annoying, but above all…

p. 61

unwind
speak out loud
speak out phrasal verb
to publicly speak in protest about something, especially when protesting could be dangerous
about/against
- Five students who had spoken out against the regime were arrested.

p. 62

hug
shake hands

(God) bless you
Push
Spit- escupir
Pregnant
Small kid
Customs
Customer
Pregnant ladies
Disable people

I’m starving

Homework: p. 62 and 63, ex. 5b, d and e

Stove

p. 63
relative /ˈrelətɪv/ ●●● S3 W3 noun [countable]   
a member of your family SYN relation
- I haven’t got many relatives
ex. 6
She criticises her cooking. On the whole we get on well.
Brings her dog (a puppy) and they are not fond of dogs.
The nephew behaves badly, he’s a bit wild (shouts, jumps on furniture, makes a mess, paints on walls…)
His parents don’t give him any rules.
Exhausting

The one who behaves well
Argue with her
Say how you feel
Give a reason
Speak to his parents
Calm down
Write on the walls


Stay calm and change the subject.
Encourage your husband to say how good it is.

It is bad manners to bring uninvited pets.
Give reasons

Fix some rules for the house.

is‧sue /ˈɪʃuː, ˈɪsjuː $ ˈɪʃuː/ ●●● S1 W1 noun   
1 SUBJECT/PROBLEM [countable] a subject or problem that is often discussed or argued about, especially a social or political matter that affects the interests of a lot of people
- Abortion is a highly controversial issue.




ˈfirst name ●●● S2 noun [countable]   
1 the name or names that come before your family name
SYN Christian name, → surname, last name


No comments: