Thursday, January 16, 2020

B1 15-16/1/20

February exams will start the 10th/11th and they will be during class time.
The 1st day (10th/11th) will be for the writing + listening + reading
And the 2nd (12th/13th) for the speaking and mediation. 

p. 62
treadmill /ˈtredˌmɪl/ noun   
1  Image of treadmill [countable] a piece of exercise equipment that has a large belt around a set of wheels, that you can walk or run on while staying in the same place

handbook /ˈhændbʊk/ ●○○ noun [countable]   
a short book that gives information or instructions about something SYN manual

inquiryenquiry /ɪnˈkwaɪəri $ ɪnˈkwaɪri, ˈɪŋkwəri/ ●●○ S3 W2 noun (plural inquiries)    1 [countable] a question you ask in order to get information

preview /ˈpriːvjuː/ noun [countable]   
1 an occasion when you can see a film, play, painting etc before it is shown to the public

smelly /ˈsmeli/ adjective (comparative smellier, superlative smelliest)   
having a strong unpleasant smell SYN stinky
- smelly feet

Host(ess) /ˈhəʊst(ɪs) $ ˈhoʊ-/
Guest /ɡest/
be my guest
spoken used to give someone permission to do what they have asked to do
- ‘Do you mind if I look at your notes?’ ‘Be my guest.’

mascara /mæˈskɑːrə $ mæˈskærə/ noun [uncountable]   
a dark substance used to colour your eyelashes and make them look thicker

shake hands
Somebody introduced me to the president
If you trust that person

Manspreading
Bad hygiene
Halitosis /ˌhælɪˈtəʊsɪs $ -ˈtoʊ-/ noun [uncountable] technical   
a condition in which someone’s breath smells very bad SYN bad breath
displaying the tray
kids kicking the front seat
when they pull your hair

ˈwindow-ˌshopping noun [uncountable]    
the activity of looking at goods in shop windows without intending to buy them

throw up
sick
diz‧zy /ˈdɪzi/ ●●○ adjective   
1 feeling unable to stand steadily, for example because you are looking down from a high place or because you are ill
 The heat and the champagne made him feel dizzy.

Swollen legs

feel sick
(also be/feel sick to your stomach American English) to feel as if you are going to vomit
- As soon as the ship started moving I began to feel sick.

It depends ON the situation
Sitting AT the table

It’s very annoying when you are with a rude person.

self‧ish /ˈselfɪʃ/ ●●○ adjective   
caring only about yourself and not about other people – used to show disapproval
- How can you be so selfish?
- selfish behaviour

Other rude situations:
take turns doing something
- The students were taking turns reading aloud.
Eating with the mouth open.
Using a lot of space at the table.
Burping
Picking the nose.
Speak with a full mouth.
Not saying please / thank you.
Talking too loud

- Thank you
- Thank YOU / it’s ok / you’re welcome / Not at all / it’s fine / never mind…

p. 64

knit /nɪt/ ●●○ verb (present participle knitting) [intransitive, transitive]   
1 (past tense and past participle knitted) to make clothing out of wool, using two knitting needles → crochet
- My grandmother taught me how to knit.

sew /səʊ $ soʊ/ ●●● S3 verb (past tense sewed, past participle sewn /səʊn $ soʊn/ or sewed) [intransitive, transitive]   
to use a needle and thread to make or repair clothes or to fasten something such as a button to them
- I learned to sew at school.

Clumsy
embroider /ɪmˈbrɔɪdə $ -ər/ verb   
1 [intransitive, transitive] to decorate cloth by sewing a pattern, picture, or words on it with coloured threads
embroider something with something

type ●●● S2 W3 verb   
1 [intransitive, transitive] to write something using a computer or a typewriter
- He types with two fingers.

Achievable

Can – could – been able

Cannot – can’t – can not.
Could – couldn’t – could not

I like playing (to play) football
I’d (would) like to play football today
I’d like to can play football today
I’d like to be able to play football today

I have to pass the exam
I have to can pass the exam
I have to be able to pass the exam

I will play football tomorrow
I will can play football tomorrow
I will be able to play football tomorrow

I have passed the exam.
I have can passed the exam.
I have been able to pass the exam.

I’m looking forward to seeing you
I’m used to getting up early

I will can – I will be able to

Homework: grammar bank p. 211, a and b

PLOT /plɒt/> STORY/FILM the events that form the main story of a book, film, or play
- The plot was a little confusing.


I’d like to be able to scuba dive
I’ve never been able to play the piano well / ride a motorbike.

P. 64, EX. 2

He’s never been able to dance.
We won’t be able to come.
I’d love to be able to ski.
She hates not being able to drive.


I’ve never been able to dance /speak French.
Will you be able to find it? Afford it

I’d love TO be able to ride a horse
I love being able/ hate not being able to understand other languages.
We won’t be able to park.
I’ve never been able to speak Chinese.
Will you be able to come?

Ex. 3

oc‧tave /ˈɒktəv, -teɪv $ ˈɑːk-/ noun [countable]   
a) the range of musical notes between the first note of a scale and the last one

tune1 /tjuːn $ tuːn/ ●●● S3 noun   
1 [countable] a series of musical notes that are played or sung and are nice to listen to SYN melody

busk /bʌsk/ verb [intransitive]   
British English to play music in a public place in order to earn money

sum‧ma‧ry /ˈsʌməri/ ●●○ AWL noun (plural summaries) [countable]   
a short statement that gives the main information about something, without giving all the details

 A brief summary is given on a separate sheet.

No comments: