Thursday, October 31, 2019

B1 31/10/19

Graveyard
Cemetery

Halloween riddles
1. Why didn't the skeleton cross the road?
c
A. Ice Scream
2. What do skeletons say before they begin dining?
f
B. They have no body to dance with
3. What do ghosts serve for dessert?

a
C. He didn't have the guts.
4. When is it bad luck to meet a black cat?
e
D. Because people are dying to get in
5. Why don't skeletons like parties?

b
E. When you're a mouse
6. Did you hear what happened to the boy and girl vampires?
h
F. Bone appetit!
7. Why are there fences around cemeteries?
d
G. They get all wrapped up in their work
8. Why do witches fly on brooms?

j
H. They loved in vein
9. Why do mummies make good employees?
g
I. His ghoul friend
10. Who did Frankenstein take to the prom?
i
J. Vacuum cleaner cords aren't long enough


p. 26

money /ˈmʌni/
man‧y /ˈmeni/
seafood
joined

p.226
be worth something
a) to have a value in money
- The house must be worth quite a lot of money now.
- One of the pictures is worth £50,000.

Borrow /ˈbɒrəʊ/ - Can I borrow your car?

Lend – Can you lend me your car?

can/could afford
[usually negative]
a) to have enough money to buy or pay for something
afford (to do) something
- We can’t afford to go (V) on vacation this year.
- How can she afford to eat (V) out every night?
- I couldn’t afford the rent (N) on my own.

charge ●●● S1 W2 verb   
1 MONEY
a) [intransitive, transitive] to ask someone for a particular amount of money for something you are selling
- The hotel charges $125 a night.
charge somebody £10/$50 etc (for something)
- The restaurant charged us £40 for the wine.

I owe /əʊ/ my brother $50.
I hate owing money to people.

A concert to raise /reɪz/ money for charity.

Waste money / time



She put at least £30 a week aside for food.> to save money regularly, usually for a particular purpose

Ex.1a
Save, lend, borrow, waste, can’t afford to buy, charge, cost, owe, invest, earn, is worth, raise.

Shares – acciones
Make a profit – tener beneficio
Nearly half the students said they were in debt /det/.

Ex. 2
Pay for, spend on, invest in, lend to, borrow from, charge for, get into debt.

Ex. 3
bill /bɪl/ ●●● S1 W1 noun [countable]   
1 REQUEST FOR PAYMENT a written list showing how much you have to pay for services you have received, work that has been done etc
bill for
- The bill for the repairs came to $650.
- Have you paid the phone bill?

budget /ˈbʌdʒɪt/ ●●○ S3 W3 noun [countable]   
1 the money that is available to an organization or person, or a plan of how it will be spent
budget of
- a welfare program with a budget of $2 million
budget for
- The budget for photography has been cut.

contactless /ˈkɒntæktləs $ ˈkɑːn-/ adjective   
a contactless debit card or credit card is one you can use to pay for things by waving it over a machine, without using a pin number
payment /ˈpeɪmənt/ ●●● S2 W1 noun   
1 [countable] an amount of money that has been or must be paid
- You can make a payment in any bank.

insurance /ɪnˈʃʊərəns $ -ˈʃʊr-/ ●●● S2 W2 noun   
1 [uncountable] an arrangement with a company in which you pay them money, especially regularly, and they pay the costs if something bad happens, for example if you become ill or your car is damaged → assurance, third party insurance
 Your father took out insurance to cover the mortgage.

Salary, tax, loan, budget, mortgage /ˈmɔːɡɪdʒ/, contactless payment, insurance.

$2,000 – 2 thousand dollars / twenty hundred dollars
$1856 – eighteen hundred fifty-six dollars

I want to go to a concert, but I can’t afford to spend a lot of money.


Ex. 4


- the number of families who live on benefits.
- I don’t know how they manage to live on £55 a week.> to have a particular amount of money to buy food and other necessary things.

- How much would you like to take out?> to get money from your bank account. SYN> withdraw

- I’ll pay you back on Friday.
- We’re paying back the loan over 15 years.> to give someone the money that you owe them SYN repay

- Dad lost his job and we had to live off welfare
- Mom used to live off the interest from her savings.> to get your income or food from a supply of money or from another person


Cash point – ATM

Little money> not enough
A little money> enough

Make ends meet- llegar a fin de mes
With my salary I have problems to make ends meet.
I try not to waste  money.

I’d (would) like to have a job with a good salary and earn a lot of money which I could save so that I can afford to buy a piece of land.

I want to borrow my mother’s car but  she can’t lent it to me because it’s not insured.
I need to ask for a loan.

I asked for a loan to invest the money in a business.

I’m broke /ruined.

The really cost a fortune.

I was evicted so I had to collect  / raise money to recover my house.

I don’t like owing money to banks. However, I have a loan and I pay it every month.


borough /ˈbʌrə $ -roʊ/ noun [countable]   
a town, or part of a large city, that is responsible for managing its own schools, hospitals, roads etc
- the borough of Queens in New York City
- Lambeth Borough Council

Halloween with Mariah
Celtic Holiday
Harvest
Carve (cut)
Pumpkin
Jack o lantern
Trick or treat , smell my feet
Costume (fancy dress)
Corn maze
Apple bobbing
Vampire


Homework: reading activity p. 26 – 27, ex. 3 b and c.

No comments: