Tuesday, April 01, 2014

31/3/14 - 1/4/14

Homework: Grammar, p,75

It’s not really my kind of thing.
I don’t really feel like it.
I’m not really in the mood for that kind of thing.
It sounds a bit too trendy for me.
It looks a bit too touristy for me.
It sounds a bit too weird for me.

weird /wɪəd/ adjective
very strange
I had a really weird dream last night.

terrific /təˈrɪfɪk/ adjective
1 EXCELLENT excellent
a terrific opportunity
I thought she looked terrific.
2 LARGE/SERIOUS [ always before noun ] very large, great, or serious
a terrific increase in prices
a terrific storm
terrifically adverb

moving /ˈmuːvɪŋ/ adjective
1 FEELING causing strong feelings of sadness or sympathy
a moving tribute
2 NOT STILL [ always before noun ] A moving object is one that moves.
a moving target

booze [singular, uncountable]
informal alcoholic drink:
a bottle of booze
on the booze
He's been on the booze (=drinking too much alcohol) for five days.
off the booze
My husband is now off the booze (=no longer drinking too much alcohol) and he is a different person.

Pissed [not before noun] informal
1 British English drunk:
They rolled in pissed at three in the morning.
pissed as a newt/pissed out of your head (=extremely drunk)

He had promised that he would pick me
->promise----pick me ----waiting----present
She mentioned she’d (had) got a spare ticket and I said I’d (would) go with her
->Get the ticket---mention the ticket--- go with her ---present


venue /ˈvenjuː/ noun [ C ]
a place where a sports game, musical performance, or special event happens

Hype  /haɪp/ noun [ U ]
When people talk a lot about something, especially in newspapers, on television, etc, and make it seem more important or exciting than it really is
Media hype
There's been a lot of hype about/surrounding his latest film.

Gimmick /ˈgɪmɪk/ noun [ C ]
Something that is used only to get people's attention, especially to make them buy something
A marketing/publicity gimmick

Gimmicky adjective 



No comments: