Wednesday, April 02, 2014

ni2 2-3/4/14


disappointed at/with/about
Local residents were disappointed with the decision.
disappointed (that)
I was disappointed that we played so well yet still lost.
disappointed in
I'm very disappointed in you.
Disappointed in you BUT disappointed with myself.

sur‧prised
having a feeling of surprise:
He looked surprised to see Cassie standing by the front door.
surprised at/by
We were greatly surprised at the news.
surprised (that)
class=pronsentence title="British English" onclick="openSoundPlayer('3/MED.pronsentence-p008-000602383.mp3', 'pronsentence', 42494, 2);" v:shapes="_x0000_i1027">She was surprised that no one was there to greet her.
surprised to see/hear/learn etc
class=pronsentence title="British English" onclick="openSoundPlayer('6/MED.pronsentence-p008-000602386.mp3', 'pronsentence', 42494, 3);" v:shapes="_x0000_i1028">I bet she'll be really surprised to see me.
He had a surprised look on his face.
Don't be surprised if the interviewer is rather direct.
I wouldn't be surprised if she married that fellow.

I need to know beforehand what’s going to happen.

My husband’s boss decided not to allow him to go (the bastard).

boar /bɔː r / noun [ C ]
1 FARM ANIMAL a male pig
2 WILD ANIMAL ( also wild boar ) a wild pig

bush /bʊʃ/ noun
1 [ C ] a short, thick plant with a lot of branches
a rose bush
There was someone hiding in the bushes.
See picture bush
2 the bush
[ GEOGRAPHY ] wild parts of Australia or Africa where very few people live
3 beat about the bush
to avoid talking about something difficult or embarrassing

chase 1 /tʃeɪs/ verb
1 CATCH [ I , T ] to run after someone or something in order to catch them
The dog was chasing a rabbit.
See picture chase
2 chase sb/sth away/off/out, etc
to run after a person or animal to make them leave a place
I chased the cat away.
3 TRY [ T ] UK to try very hard to get something

There are hundreds of graduates chasing very few jobs

No comments: