Wednesday, January 22, 2014

ni2 21-22/1/14

Homework: Grammar p. 53 (C+D)

trustworthy /ˈtrʌstˌwɜːði/ adjective
Someone who is trustworthy can be trusted.

Fond /fɒnd/ adjective
1 be fond of sb/sth
To like someone or something
To be fond of animals/music
[ + doing sth ] He's not very fond of dancing.
2 [ always before noun ] expressing or causing happy feelings
fond memories

Play truant UK
to stay away from school without permission

cafeteria /ˌkæfəˈtɪəriə/ noun [ C ]
a restaurant where you collect and pay for your food and drink before you eat it
a school cafeteria

Bore somebody to death
To make someone lose interest completely 
Herman was bored to death by the stories Arlie told.

Cosy UK ( US cozy ) /ˈkəʊzi/ adjective
Comfortable and warm

Disciplined /ˈdɪsəplɪnd/ adjective
Behaving in a very controlled way
The most disciplined army in the world

Go-getter or social climber (trepa)

Corset [countable]
A piece of tight-fitting underwear that women wore especially in the past to make them look thinner

She made us love it too.
He pushed me so that I learnt more and more…
Hard-working
I keep my friends from school.

Be alive and kicking/well
To continue to be popular or successful
Despite rumours to the contrary, feminism is alive and kicking.

In my life as a student…

They were not particularly good….

I had a good time there.

I was responsible, perhaps too much.

Late bloomer

I’m glad of having had a…


He spent the whole time threatening us.

No comments: