Monday, January 13, 2014

ni2 13-14/1/14


Must/have to

Both of these modal verbs are used to talk about obligation (things that you are required to do), but their meaning and use are slightly different.

Must is often used to express obligations that the speaker feels are necessary. For example, when Paul says: 'you must try some' and 'we must do this again', he is expressing his own personal view about what is necessary.

Have to is often used to express obligations which come from an external source: another person or organisation has made a rule that we are required to follow. So when Alice says: 'I have to work a night shift next weekend' she is talking about an obligation that has been given to her by her employer.

...

must  /mʌst/ noun
be a must informal
If something is a must, it is very important to have or do it.
The restaurant has become so popular that reservations are a must.

helping /ˈhelpɪŋ/ noun [ C ]
[ FOOD ] an amount of food given to one person at one time
She gave me a very large helping of pasta.

Drawer /drɔː r / noun [ C ]
A container like a box without a lid that is part of a piece of furniture and that slides in and out
She opened the drawer and took out a knife.
See also: chest of drawers

drawer /drɔː r / noun [ C ]
a container like a box without a lid that is part of a piece of furniture and that slides in and out
She opened the drawer and took out a knife.
See also: chest of drawers

drawer /drɔː r / noun [ C ]
a container like a box without a lid that is part of a piece of furniture and that slides in and out
She opened the drawer and took out a knife.
See also: chest of drawers

have something doing and have something onto have plans for a particular period of time. (Note the variation with anything in the examples. Fixed order.) Bob: Are you busy Saturday night? Bill: Yes, I've got something doing. I don't have anything doing Sunday night. I have something on almost every Saturday.

She isn’t at home, she must have gone to the cinema.
You must read this book; I think that it’ll help you in the future.
Using Modals for Recommendations
Use: 
The following modals can be used to give recommendations.
must 
Must  can be used to give a strong recommendation.
You must see the Empire State Building while you are in New York.
have to 
You can also use have to for recommendations, but must is more common. Have to is generally used to talk about rules and things beyond your control. 
You have to see the Empire State Building while you are in New York.
should 
Should and ought to are used to give a suggestion.
You should try haggis while you are in Scotland.
could 
Could is used to give an option.
You could stay in a hotel, or you could stay at a guest house.
don’t have to 
Don’t have to is used to say that something isn’t necessary.
You don’t have to get a taxi; the metro is really fast and efficient.
shouldn’t 
Should is used to warn someone gently against doing something.
You shouldn’t walk home alone after dark.
mustn’t 
Mustn’t is used to warn someone strongly against doing something. 
You mustn’t go to that part of the city – it’s dangerous.
Why don’t you…?
If I were you…
Let’s…
How about…?

Gown [countable]
1 a long dress that a woman wears on formal occasions
wedding/evening/ball gown
A white silk wedding gown
2 a long loose piece of clothing worn for special ceremonies by judges, teachers, lawyers, and members of universities [= robe]
3 a long loose piece of clothing worn in a hospital by someone doing or having an operation:
A hospital gown

mortarboard (academic or graduate's hat) birrete

post‧grad‧u‧ate [countable] especially British English
someone who is studying at a university to get a master's degree or aPhD [= graduate student American English]

DOCTOR DOCTOR JOKES
Doctor Doctor I swallowed a bone
Are you choking? (similar sound to joking
No, I really did!

Doctor, Doctor I think I need glasses
You certainly do, Sir, this is a fish and chip shop!

Doctor, Doctor my son has swallowed my pen, what should I do?
Use a pencil ‘till I get there

Doctor, Doctor I think I'm a bell?
Take these and if it doesn't help give me a ring!

Doctor, Doctor I think I'm suffering from Deja Vu!
Didn't I see you yesterday?

Doctor, Doctor I've got wind! Can you give me something?
Yes - here's a kite!

Doctor, how do I stop my nose from running?!
Stick your foot out and trip it up!

No comments: