Thursday, January 17, 2013

ni2 17-1-13


boarding school [countable]
a school where students live as well as study

as‧sign‧ment
1 [uncountable and countable] a piece of work that is given to someone as part of their job
on an assignment
She's gone to Italy on a special assignment.
on assignment
He was killed while on assignment abroad.
2 [countable] a piece of work that a student is asked to do:
a history assignment

af‧flu‧ent formal
having plenty of money, nice houses, expensive things etc [= wealthy]:
affluent families
an affluent society/area etc
the affluent Côte d'Azur

slam past tense and past participle slammed, present participleslamming
1
door etc
 [intransitive and transitive] if a door, gate etc slams, or if someone slams it, it shuts with a loud noise [= bang]:
We heard a car door slam.
He slammed the door shut.

Concerned ABOUT: Worried
worried about something
concerned about
She is concerned about how little food I eat.
concerned for
class=pronsentence title="Look up a word starting with D or S for samples of headword or sentence pronunciations on the LDOCE CD-ROM" v:shapes="_x0000_i1033">He called the police because he was concerned for Gemma's safety.
concerned (that)
Pamela was concerned that her schoolwork had deteriorated despite her hard work.

What’s important is results.

de‧spite
1 used to say that something happens or is true even though something else might have prevented it [= in spite of]:
Despite all our efforts to save the school, the authorities decided to close it.
despite the fact (that)
She went to Spain despite the fact that her doctor had told her to rest.

Despite the rain, we went jogging.
Despite the fact (that) it was raining, we went jogging.
Despite living so far away, he came to the party.

Although / in spite of / despite


After although we use a subject + verb:

 Although it rained a lot, we enjoyed our holiday.
• I didn't get the job although I had all the necessary qualifications.

Compare the meaning of although and because:
• We went out although it was raining.
• We didn't go out because it was raining.

After in spite of or despite, we use a noun, a pronoun (this/that/what etc.) or -ing:
 In spite of the rain, we enjoyed our holiday.
• I didn't get the job in spite of having all the necessary qualifications.
• She wasn't well, but in spite of this she went to work.
 In spite of what I said yesterday, I still love you.

Despite is the same as in spite of. Note that we say 'in spite of, but despite (without 'of'):
• She wasn't well, but despite this she went to work, (not 'despite of this')

You can say 'in spite of the fact (that)...' and 'despite the fact (that)...':

I didn’t get the job in spite of the fact that I had all the necessary qualifications
I didn’t get the job despite the fact (that) I had all the necessary qualifications.

Compare in spite of and because of:
• We went out in spite of the rain, (or ...despite the rain.)
• We didn't go out because of the rain.

Compare although and in spite of / despite:
 Although the traffic was bad. I arrived on time. (not in spite of the traffic was bad)
In spite of the traffic, I arrived on time. (not in spite of the traffic was bad)

I couldn’t sleep although I was very tired (not despite I was tired)
I couldn’t sleep despite being very tired (not despite I was tired)

aim
1 [intransitive] to try or intend to achieve something
aim to do something
We aim to finish by Friday.
(be) aimed at doing something
an initiative aimed at reducing road accidents
aim for
We're aiming for a big improvement.

such
1 of the same kind as the thing or person which has already been mentioned:
Such behavior is just not acceptable in this school.

tough /tʌf/ UK  US  adjetivo
1  difícil
a tough question
una pregunta difícil
2 fuerte [persona]
3 resistente [material]
4  severo -a, duro -a
to get tough with sb ponerse duro -a con alguien
5  duro -a [carne, verdura, etc.]
6  (informal) (injusto) duro -a
tough luck mala suerte


though /ðəʊ/ UK  US  conjunción &  adverbio
  conjunción
1 aunque
Though she was only seven, she played the piano brilliantly.
Aunque solo tenía siete años, tocaba el piano de maravilla.
2 pero
I bought it in Italy, though it's probably cheaper here.
Lo compré en Italia, pero es probable que sea más barato aquí.
 ▶  ver también as, even
 •  adverbio
 (informal) (sin embargo)
We had to queue for an hour. It was worth it, though.
Tuvimos que hacer cola durante una hora, pero valió la pena.


thought1 /θɔːt/ UK  US  sustantivo
1 pensamiento, idea
the thought of (doing) sth solo de pensar en (hacer) algo
The thought of food makes me feel sick.
Solo de pensar en comer siento náuseas.
2 reflexión
to give sth a lot of thought reflexionar mucho sobre algo, pensar mucho algo
to be lost/deep in thought estar absorto -a en sus/mis etc pensamientos
3 (filosofía) pensamiento
4 on second thoughts pensándolo bien, ahora que lo pienso

courage /ˈkʌrɪdʒ/ UK  US  sustantivo
valor (encourage ≠ discourage)

irony /ˈaɪrəni/ UK  US  sustantivo (plural -nies)
ironía

iron /ˈaɪən/ UK  US  sustantivo & verbo
 •  sustantivo
1 hierro
2 plancha [para planchar]
 •  verbo [transitivo/intransitivo]
planchar


Open Skies
34 Delaware Road
London, CA 86754



J J C R
3, Paco Rascal street
Molina, Murcia. 38002
J*****@hotmail.es

16-11-13

Dear Hiring Manager,

I am writing to apply for the job of guide and instructor for outdoor pursuits, advertised in the Times Union. I enclose my CV, a recent photo and a covering letter.

As you will see from my CV, I have suitable qualifications and I have plenty of experience working like multiadventure instructor  for five  years. Also, I can speak English, French as well as  my own language (Spanish). So, my skills and experience are a good fit for the job.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like further information. I can be reached at 636724879 or at J*****@hotmail.es.

I look forward to hearing from you

Yours faithfully

J J C R.

No comments: