Wednesday, April 29, 2020

C2 29/4/20


29/4/20

1)
Comic book activity: Asterios Polyp

educated guess
a guess that is likely to be correct because it is based on some knowledge.
- Investors must make an educated guess as to the company’s potential.

3) (Writing activity) How would you explain your life following the model in the comic?


Are we there yet?
How much further?



These are the ten most common phrasal verbs about work:

1) Back up: To ‘back up’ something is to make a copy of the information so that you don’t lose it. Often this refers to files and documents on a computer.
2) Fall through: This is when a deal or arrangement doesn’t happen.
3) Laid off: This is when a company stops employing someone due to there not being enough work or money.
4) Run (something) by / past: This means to show someone something so they can share their opinion on it.
5) Take over: This can mean to take control of a company, or to start doing a job that someone else was responsible for.
6) Talk over: To discuss a situation or problem with someone.
7) Report back: To bring back information that you were asked to find out about.
8) Meet up: To gather with someone or a group to do something together.
9) Booked up: To have no spare time in a schedule.
10) Draw up: To prepare a plan or a document.

Can you think of sentences with them?
I was full of hope about my new job, but with the new situation, it’s very likely that they will lay me off soon.

The government has drawn up a plan to go back to normality after confinement ends.

Since Paul retired I have taken over the histocompatibility department of the laboratory. 

Last Monday I reported back a statement about the last term. I would like this to be run by you.

I haven’t visited the restaurant you recommended because they’re always completely booked up.

After the quarantine all hairdressers will be booked up for weeks. 

If Carmen backed up her memory card, she wouldn’t lose any of the information. 

The Autonomous Communities took over the residences for the elderly due to the health crisis. 

After work, I usually meet up with some of my peers to have a beer.

Every worker has to report back to the head teacher at the end of the term.

I lost all the information that I had in my pen drive, now I am trying to recover it and back up all the documents. 

Under no circumstances could I meet up with my pupils because of the lockdown. Sometimes I think that it is about time for politicians to draw up a proper plan to descale the current situation.

The Government has taken over the bank after finding out a crippling/an alarming /an outstanding / an unsustainable level of debt.

Sales department has to draw up the business case before presenting it to the stakeholders.

I look forward to having Pascual with a microphone so that we can meet up and practise our English. 😉

No comments: