Wednesday, May 20, 2015

ni2 20-21/5/15



pee informal
1 [uncountable] liquid waste passed from your body [= urine]
2 [singular] an act of passing liquid waste from your body
go for a pee/have a pee British English take a pee American Englishnot polite:
• Have I got time to go for a pee before we leave?

Just in case.

irritable /ˈɪrɪtəbl/ adjective
becoming annoyed very easily
Jack's been irritable all day.
irritability /ˌɪrɪtəˈbɪləti/ noun [ U ]
irritably adverb


Reported speech

“My father is retired”
She said / told me that her father was retired.

“be quiet”
She told me to be quiet

“I’m not going to study now”
He told me that she wasn’t going to study at the moment.

“Do you live here?”
He asked me if I lived there.

“How old are you?”
He wanted to know how old I was.


“Would you like to come with us by car?”
They offered me to go with them by car
“Oh, come on, stay for dinner”

He insisted on staying for dinner.

REPORTING VERBS

Offered to take James to the nearest hospital
offer 1 /ˈɒfə r / verb
1 ASK [ + two objects ] to ask someone if they would like something
They offered me a job. (offer sb sth)
Someone should offer that old lady a seat.
2 SAY YOU WILL DO [ I , T ] to say that you are willing to do something
[ + to do sth ] He offered to get me a cab.
3 AGREE TO PAY [ FINANCE ] [ T ] to say that you will pay a particular amount of money
[ + two objects ] I offered him £500 for the car.
Police have offered a $1,000 reward for information.
4 PROVIDE [ T ] to give or provide something
to offer advice
The hotel offers a wide range of facilities.

She promised to call me.
promise 1 /ˈprɒmɪs/ verb
1 SAY [ I , T ] to say that you will certainly do something or that something will certainly happen
[ + to do sth ] She promised to write to me every week.
[ + (that) ] Paul promised me that he'd cook dinner tonight.
2 GIVE [ + two objects ] to say that you will certainly give something to someone
They promised us a reward. (promise sb sth)
Grandma's ring was promised to me.
3 promise to be sth
If something promises to be good, exciting, etc, people expect that it will be good, exciting, etc.
It promises to be a really exciting game.

She insisted on taking him
insist /ɪnˈsɪst/ verb [ I , T ]
1 SAY to say firmly that something is true, especially when other people do not believe you
[ + (that) ] Mia insisted that she and Carlo were just friends.
2 DEMAND to demand that something must be done or that you must have a particular thing
The school insists on good behaviour from its students.
[ + on + doing sth ] Frank insisted on doing all the work himself.
[ + (that) ] Gerlinde insisted that I stay for dinner.

The doctors told him not to cycle for a week.
tell /tel/ verb past told
1 SAY [ T ] to say something to someone, usually giving them information
He told me about his new school.
[ + (that) ] Sally told me that the play didn't start until 9 o'clock.
[ + question word ] Can you tell me what time the next bus leaves?
2 tell sb to do sth
to order someone to do something
I told you to stay here.

We persuaded him to go
persuade /pəˈsweɪd/ verb [ T ]
to make someone agree to do something by talking to them a lot about it
[ + to do sth ] We managed to persuade him to come with us.
[ + (that) ] I persuaded her that it was the right thing to do.
The opposite is dissuade


No comments: