Monday, October 06, 2014

ni2 6-7/10/14

Homework: Grammar, p. 12 (narrative tenses + the past continuous)

Past simple:
Tell about an action in the past in chronological order.
I went to the dentist but then I felt dizzy and took a taxi to go back home.

Past continuous:
It is used to emphasize that an action in the pas t took some time. Normally there’s another action in the past affecting this one.
I was playing basket when I fell and sprained my ankle.

Past perfect:
To talk about an action or event in the past previous to another action in the past.
I met the girl that you had described in your essay.

I was eating a sandwich while I was watching a film this morning and then, the telephone rung.

I found that romantic novel that I had enjoyed so much as a child.

He would’ve drunk too much if his wife hadn’t arrived at the right moment.

Turned off

He called me because he had found the wallet I had lost.

He’ll be coming any moment soon.
Vocabulary p.10-11

/ˈleɪzi/
/sweər /
/faʊnd/
/lɑːf/
/ˈbiːɪŋ/
/ɪmˈbærəst/
/ˈspænɪʃ/
/ɪkˈspɪəriəns//
ˈnɒnsəns/
/səˈluːʃən/
/ˈlæŋgwɪdʒ/
/tʃeɪndʒ/
/ədˈvɑːntɪdʒ/
/ðəmˈselvz/
/ɪnˈvaɪərənmənt/
/ˈnəʊtɪd/
/ˈpɒləsi/
/ʌnˈeɪbl/


swear /sweə r / verb past tense swore , past participle sworn
1 BAD LANGUAGE [ LANGUAGE ] [ I ] to use language which people think is rude or offensive
He was sent home because he swore at the teacher.
She swore loudly and threw the box on the floor.
2 PROMISE [ I , T ] to make a serious promise
[ + to do sth ] I swear to tell the truth.
[ + (that) ] She swore that she was at home at the time of the accident.


colour-blind UK ( US color-blind ) /ˈkʌləblaɪnd/ adjective

[ HEALTH ] unable to see the difference between particular colours 




No comments: