Wednesday, October 01, 2014

ni2 1-2/10/14

Homework: reading activity, p. 10 (check the pronunciation of the new words.)

Italics /ɪˈtælɪks/ noun [ plural ]
[ LANGUAGE ] a style of writing or printing in which the letters slope to the right
Italic adjective
Written in italics

Range 1 /reɪndʒ/ noun
Word partners for range
A full / wide range • a range of sth
1 OF THINGS [ C ] a group of different things of the same general type
A range of colours/patterns
We discussed a wide range of subjects.

Fairly /ˈfeəli/ adverb
1 MORE THAN AVERAGE more than average, but less than very
A fairly big family
Fairly quickly

/meɪnˈteɪn/
/ˈbeɪsɪk/
/baɪˈlɪŋgwəl/

What’s your level of English?
What do you do in order to learn a foreign language?
Do you find it difficult to learn a foreign language?
What’s your main motivation to learn English?

miss  /mɪs/ verb
2 NOT GO TO [ T ] to not go to something
I missed my class this morning.
5 TOO LATE [ T ] to arrive too late to get on a bus, train, or aircraft
If I don't leave now, I'll miss my train.

Rush 1 /rʌʃ/ verb
1 HURRY [ I , T ] to hurry or move quickly somewhere, or to make someone or something hurry or move quickly somewhere
We rushed out into the street to see what all the noise was.
The UN has rushed medical supplies to the war zone.
[ + to do sth ] We had to rush to catch the bus.
2 rush to do sth
To do something quickly and enthusiastically
His friends rushed to congratulate him after the ceremony.

either  /ˈaɪðə r , ˈiːðə r / adverb
Used in negative sentences to mean that something else is also true
The menu is boring and it's not cheap either.
I don't eat meat and Sam doesn't either.

too /tuː/ adverb
2 also
Do you know Jason too?
I'll probably go there next year too.

BUT

I won’t go there either

No comments: