Monday, February 24, 2014

ni2 24-25/2/14

Homework: writing p. 129 (writing a letter to a friend suggesting changes to the plans you had previously scheduled (it can be a trip, a party or any other plan you may think of. (200 words app. ))) + vocabulary + keywords for writing (A + B + C).

Key to grammar reference p. 151
1.-
had, hadn’t, hadn’t, had, hadn’t, had, hadn’t, had.

2.-
1)… I hadn’t started to smoke
2)…I wish I had asked her.
3)… I wish you had told me.
4)… I wish I hadn’t been so hard on my children.
5)…I hadn’t lost touch with them.
6)…I had moved when I had the chance.

They really regret not training harder for the competition.
They wish they had trained harder for the competition.

It’s a shame I didn’t start studying English earlier.
I wish I had started studying English earlier.

I wish I had had more children.
I regret not having more children.
It’s a shame I didn’t have more children.


regret 1 /rɪˈgret/ verb [ T ] present participle regretting , past regretted
1 BAD DECISION to feel sorry about a situation, especially something that you wish you had not done
If you don't tell her the truth you'll regret it later.
[ + doing sth ] I really regret leaving school so young.
[ + (that) ] He began to regret that he hadn't paid more attention in class.
2 SORRY TO SAY formal used to say that you are sorry that you have to tell someone about a situation
[ + to do sth ] We regret to inform you that the application has been refused.
[ + (that) ] The council regrets that the money is no longer available.
Do you think now it’s any clearer?
..
redundant /rɪˈdʌndənt/ adjective
1 NOT WORKING [ ECONOMICS ] UK not working because your employer has told you there is not enough work
Eight thousand people have been made redundant in Britain this year.
2 NOT NEEDED UK not needed or used any more because there are other similar or more modern things
redundant weapons
3 TOO MUCH more than is needed, especially extra words that mean the same thing

redundant /rɪˈdʌndənt/ adjective
1 NOT WORKING [ ECONOMICS ] UK not working because your employer has told you there is not enough work
Eight thousand people have been made redundant in Britain this year.
2 NOT NEEDED UK not needed or used any more because there are other similar or more modern things
redundant weapons
3 TOO MUCH more than is needed, especially extra words that mean the same thing

ˈ hen night ( also ˈ hen ˌ party ) noun [ C ]
a party for women only, usually one held for a woman before she gets married
Compare stag night

ˈ stag ˌ night noun [ C ]
a night when a group of men go out just before one of them gets married
Compare hen night

alternatively /ɔːlˈtɜːnətɪvli/ adverb
used to give a second possibility
We could go there by train or, alternatively, I could drive us.

keen /kiːn/ adjective
1 INTERESTED very interested or enthusiastic
a keen golfer/photographer
He's very keen on travelling.
2 WANTING TO DO wanting to do something very much
[ + to do sth ] The shop is keen to attract new customers.
3 VERY GOOD very good or well developed
a keen sense of smell
keenness noun [ U ]
keenly adverb


behalf /bɪˈhɑːf/ noun
on sb's behalf
If you do something on someone's behalf, you do it for them or instead of them.
We are campaigning on behalf of thousands of refugees.
Will you accept the prize on my behalf?

On the whole
generally
We've had a few problems, but on the whole we're very happy.

schedule /ˈʃedjuːl/ /ˈskedʒuːl/ verb [ T ]
to arrange that an event or an activity will happen at a particular time
[ often passive ] Your appointment has been scheduled for next Tuesday.

a scheduled flight 

No comments: