Thursday, May 11, 2017

C1 10-11/5/17

Homework: reading activities on pages: 132-3 and 134-5

Abdominal spear
Thrust into the gloves
Somebody’s worthiness to take adult roles
Mitt
Writhe in angry desperation
Swarm
Endure the punishment
Excruciating pain

Hold a ritual
altar /ˈɔːltə $ ˈɒːltər/

Initiation into adulthood
thrust /θrʌst/ ●●○ verb (past tense and past participle thrust) 
1 [transitive always + adverb/preposition] to push something somewhere roughly
She thrust a letter into my hand.
He thrust me roughly towards the door.

Mitt /mɪt/ noun [countable] 
1 a type of glove that does not have separate parts for each finger syn mitten ski mitts an oven mitt (=a thick glove used to protect your hand when you hold hot pans)

Spear /spɪə $ spɪr/ noun [countable] 
1 a pole with a sharp pointed blade at one end, used as a weapon in the past
2 a thin pointed stem of a plant asparagus spears

Writhe /raɪð/ verb [intransitive]  to twist your body from side to side violently, especially because you are suffering painwrithe in pain/agony etc
He lay writhing in pain.

Pack of wolves
School of fish
Swarm of bees
Flock of birds
A herd of cows
A litter of kitten

A bunch of flowers

p.129

Facial /ˈfeɪʃəl/

Be taken aback phrasal verb
To be very surprised about something
 Emma was somewhat taken aback by his directness.
Despondent /dɪˈspɒndənt $ dɪˈspɑːn-/ adjective 
Extremely unhappy and without hope
 Gill had been out of work for a year and was getting very despondent.
Despondent about
 He was becoming increasingly despondent about the way things were going.

Sheer happiness

Livid /ˈlɪvɪd/ adjective 
1 extremely angry SYN furious
 She was absolutely livid that he had lied.

I oughtn’t to be doing it

Astonishing /əˈstɒnɪʃɪŋ $ əˈstɑː-adjective so surprising that it is difficult to believe SYN amazing an astonishing decision their astonishing success

Astounding /əˈstaʊndɪŋ/ adjective so surprising that it is almost impossible to believe SYN astonishing The concert was an astounding success.

Despondent /dɪˈspɒndənt $ dɪˈspɑːn-/ adjective extremely unhappy and without hope 
Gill had been out of work for a year and was getting very despondent.
Despondent about 
He was becoming increasingly despondent about the way things were going.

Miserable /ˈmɪzərəbəl/ ●●● S3 W3 adjective  1 extremely unhappy, for example because you feel lonely, cold, or badly treated I’ve been so miserable since Pat left me. I spent the weekend feeling miserable.

Cross ●●● S2 adjective [usually before noun] especially British English 
Angry or annoyed
Get/be cross (with somebody)
She gets cross when he goes out drinking.
Sometimes I get very cross with the children.
Cross at/about
She was cross at being interrupted.

Ecstatic /ɪkˈstætɪk, ek-/ ●○○ adjective 1 feeling extremely happy and excited an ecstatic welcome from the thousands who lined the streets

Long face
A sad or disappointed expression on someone’s face
Why the long face?

p.130

Emotional Intelligence Quotient

Led to an increase in…
Shut up in their bedrooms
I’d rather your listeners got to one of our courses instead of…
A glimpse
When deciding whether to trust…

Rapport /ræˈpɔː $ -ɔːr/ noun [singular, uncountable] friendly agreement and understanding between people → relationship
Rapport with/between
He had an excellent rapport with his patients.
Establish/build up/develop (a) rapport
He built up a good rapport with the children.

Follow your gut feeling or your brain
Feel on edge when talking in public

GRAMMAR: Patterns with wish
• You wish that you could do something:
I wish I could speak Spanish.
Don’t say: I wish I can speak Spanish.
• You wish that something would happen:
I wish it would stop raining.
I wish you wouldn’t do that.
• You wish that you had done something:
I wish I had paid more attention in class.
She wished she hadn’t said that she was bored.
• You wish that you could have done something:
I wish I could have seen his face!
• In everyday spoken English, you say I wish I was:
I wish I was back home in Hong Kong.
• In more formal English, especially in American English, you use I wish I were:
I wish I were back home in Hong Kong.
• I wish I were is often used when talking about things that are impossible:
I wish I were you!

I wish I were younger.

No comments: