Thursday, May 19, 2016

C1 18-19/5/16


p.130-131

Would rather
 If you would rather do something, you would prefer to do that thing.
I'd much rather go out for a meal than stay in and watch TV.

Wish (that) – if only
To want a situation that is different from the one that exists
I wish that / if only I didn't have to go to work. (Same subject)
I wish he would leave. (Different subject)
I wish I had been there. (Regret)

What if...?
Used to ask about something that could happen in the future, especially something bad
What if I don't pass my exams?

Suppose/supposing (that)
Used to introduce an idea for someone to consider
Suppose he phones tonight. What should I say?

Heimlich maneuver
Choking

P. 132-133
Whim [countable]
a sudden feeling that you would like to do or have something, especially when there is no important or good reason
on a whim
I didn't leave just on a whim (=for no good reason).

trust [transitive]
1
people
to believe that someone is honest or will not do anything bad or wrong [ distrust, mistrust]:
I just don't trust him.
trust somebody to do something
Can they be trusted to look after the house?
I didn't trust myself not to say something rude, so I just kept quiet.
trust somebody completely/implicitly
He was a good driver and I trusted him implicitly.
not trust somebody an inch/not trust somebody as far as you can throw them (=not trust someone at all)

serendipity [uncountable] literary
when interesting or valuable discoveries are made by accident [ luck]

intriguing
overwhelming
plausible
deliberate
imperfect

copy /ˈkɒpɪ/


Should someone ask who told you, ...
Had I thought about it...
...now had they taken...
Were we to take...
...place were everyone to think...
Should sth be unclear, you...

p.134 /135
jerk, nod off, cascade /kæsˈkeɪd/, catapulting/ˈkætəˌpʌlt/, uninitiated /ˈʌnɪˈnɪʃɪeɪtɪd/, replicating.

p.138
euthanasia /ˌjuːθəˈneɪzɪə/

Abide /əˈbaɪd/ verb
Can’t abide sb/sth
To strongly dislike someone or something
I can't abide rudeness.
Abide by sth phrasal verb
To obey a rule
Staff who refused to abide by the rules were fired.

Still /stɪl/ adjective
1 stand/stay/sit, etc still
to stand, stay, sit, etc without moving
Sit still so I can brush your hair.
2 PLACE A still place is calm and quiet.
It was night and the whole village was still.
3 DRINK [ FOOD ] UK A still drink does not have any bubbles in it.
stillness noun [ U ]

Scour /skaʊə r / verb [ T ]
1 SEARCH to search for something very carefully, often over a large area
The police scoured the surrounding countryside for possible clues.
2 CLEAN to clean something by rubbing it with something rough

Thoroughly θʌrəli/ adverb
1 CAREFULLY very carefully
Wash the spinach thoroughly before cooking.
2 VERY very, or very much
We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Step back/forward/over, etc
To move somewhere by lifting your foot and putting it down in a different place
She stepped carefully over the dog.

educated /ˈedʒʊkeɪtɪd/ adjective
1 Someone who is educated has learned a lot at school or university and has a good level of knowledge.
2 an educated guess
a guess that is probably correct because you have enough knowledge about something
See also: well-educated

Inversion:

Quite often in English, certain expressions with a restrictive or negative meaning are placed at the beginning of a sentence. The reason for doing so is to emphasize the point that you want to make. It is striking, original or surprising in some way. And whenever you make such a statement, inversion is necessary. So, it has to be:
    'Only at night do bats leave their cave.'
    'Only after I had returned home did I realize that I had left my watch in Emma's bathroom.'

Inversion is also used after the not only ... but also construction:
    'Not only did we visit Cuba's capital, Havana, (but) we also spent three days exploring the Galapagos Islands off the coast of Ecuador.'

Inversion is also found in expressions containing the word 'no', when placed at the beginning of the sentence:
    'Under no circumstances are you (allowed) to walk home from school alone.'
    'In no way will I agree to sharing an office with Ben.
                 
      The same rule operates for 'seldom', 'hardly', 'scarcely', 'rarely', 'never', 'never before' and 'no sooner':
    'Never before had I seen such realistic dinosaurs as there were in the BBC television series.' (This is a reference to a recent BBC series. If you want to know more have a look at the web site - Walking with Dinosaurs.)
    'No sooner had I arrived at the station than the train came in.'
    'Rarely do we see such brightly-coloured birds.'
    'Seldom do we walk on such green grass.'
    'Scarcely had we finished lunch when the bell rang for afternoon classes.'

Remember, you are registering surprise, or something similar, when you do this. If it is inappropriate to be so emphatic, you would say:
    'We had scarcely finished lunch when the bell rang for afternoon classes.'

So do I, etc

These expressions are quite informal, Martine, and are readily used in short answers in spoken English to express agreement with what has been said in the first statement. So is here followed by inverted word order: auxiliary verb + subject:

    Judy can run 100 m in 11 seconds. ~ So can Henry!
    I've got a blister on my big toe. ~ So have I.
    I'm going to get it seen to by the club doctor. ~ So am I.
    I like to eat really hot food on cold days and so do all my friends.

So is occasionally followed by normal word order in short answers to express surprised agreement:
    If you don't believe me, just look out of the window. It's snowing! ~ So it is!
    You've given me tea and I asked for coffee! ~ So I have! I'm sorry.

Neither / nor would I, etc

These expressions are used in a similar way to So would I, etc, to express agreement with negative statements:

    I can't swim very well and neither can my sister.
    I wouldn't dream of going into the water if the temperature is below 20° C and nor would any southerner.

inversion after negative expressions

We can use inversion in statements for the purpose of emphasis if we decide to start the statement with a negative expression. Compare the following:

    Under no circumstances would I wear a mini-skirt.
    I wouldn't wear a mini-skirt under any circumstances.

In this example, the first statement is more emphatic than the second one. We can use this approach with a wide variety of adverbial negative expressions, although it makes them sound rather formal. Compare the following:
    At no time would he allow his team mates to argue with the referee.
    Rarely / Seldom have I seen such an exciting game of football.
    Hardly had I taken my seat before two goals were scored.
    I had to show him my press pass and only then did he let me in.
    Only when the players had changed into smart clothes after the match were they allowed to talk to the TV reporters.

Inversion in conditional sentences

We can use inversion in certain types of conditional sentences when the if-clause begins with had, were or should. Sentences with inversion sometimes sound more formal than those with the more conventional if-construction. Compare the following:

    Had he not resigned, we would have been obliged to give him the sack.
    If he had not resigned, we would have been forced to sack him.
    Were she to find out that he was seeing some one else, she'd go berserk.
    If she were to find out that he was cheating on her, she would go mad.
    Should you decide to cancel the contract, please let me know by Friday.

    If you decide to withdraw from the agreement, please phone me by Friday.

Brexit
UKIP
BNP
Tottenham Hotspur
The Toon
Relegated
Promoted

Leicester 

No comments: