Wednesday, April 22, 2015

ni2 22-23/4/15

Homework: p. 97, grammar and developing conversations.

/ˈɔːθər /
/bjʊəˈrɒkrəsi/
/ˈgʌvənmənt/
/ˌpɜːsɪˈkjuːʃən/

invest /ɪnˈvest/ verb
1 MONEY [ FINANCE ] [ I , T ] to give money to a bank, business, etc, or buy something, because you hope to get a profit
He's invested over a million pounds in the city's waterfront restoration project.
2 TIME/EFFORT [ T ] to use a lot of time, effort, or emotions because you want to succeed
I think she invests too much time and energy in her career.
invest in sth phrasal verb
[ FINANCE ] to buy something because you think it will be useful
Dad's decided to invest in a computer

Correct:
If I would have stayed there, I would have seen them.
If they have come, I would had celebrated that special moment.
I would have saw her, if she would have told me she would come.

upbeat /ˈʌpˌbiːt/ adjective informal
positive and expecting a situation to be good or successful
He remains upbeat about the future.




If I hadn’t met the secretary, I wouldn’t be working there right now. (mixed conditional).
If my brother hadn’t been studying abroad,
I would have spent more time with him.


fault 1 /fɔːlt/ noun
Word partners for fault
all / entirely sb's fault • it's sb's own fault
1 sb's fault
If something bad that has happened is someone's fault, they are responsible for it.
She believes it was the doctor's fault that Peter died.
It’s my/his/their fault.
It’s peter’s fault.
It’s my parent’s fault.

blame 1 /bleɪm/ verb [ T ]
1 to say or think that someone or something is responsible for something bad which has happened
Many people blame him for Tony's death.
She blamed me for her results.
Poor housing is to blame for many of their health problems.
I’m not to blame.
You are to blame.
They apologized for the delay and blamed it on technical problems.
Don’t blame it on the time limit.

Tedious

No comments: