Wednesday, April 08, 2015

8-9/4/15

HOMEWORK: Redding activity p. 86/87 (a+c)

/meɪnˈteɪn/
/ɪˈtælɪks/

wish 1 /wɪʃ/ verb
1 wish (that)
to want a situation that is different from the one that exists
I wish that I didn't have to go to work. (past simple) –present / future (same subject)
I wish he would leave. (would + inf.) –present / future (different subject)
I wish I had been there. (past perfect) - past
2 wish to do sth
formal to want to do something
I wish to speak to the manager.
3 wish sb luck/success, etc
to say that you hope someone will be lucky, successful, etc
I wished him luck for his test.
4 I/you wish!
informal used to say that you would like something to be true although you know it is not true
"Have your exams finished yet?" "I wish!"

ALTERNATIVES TO WISH

regret 1 /rɪˈgret/ verb [ T ] present participle regretting , past regretted
1 BAD DECISION to feel sorry about a situation, especially something that you wish you had not done
If you don't tell her the truth you'll regret it later.
[ + doing sth ] I really regret leaving school so young. (I really WISH I HADN’T LEFT school so young.)
[ + (that) ] He began to regret that he hadn't paid more attention in class. (He WISHED HE HAD PAID more attention in class.)

shame 1 /ʃeɪm/ noun
Word partners for shame
bring shame on sb/sth • a sense of shame • the shame of (doing) sth
1 a shame
If you describe something as a shame, you are disappointed that it has happened.
[ + to do sth ] It's a real shame to waste all this food. (I WISH WE WOULDN’T waste all this food.)
[ + (that) ] What a shame that they had to destroy such a beautiful building.

I wish I had been first to apologise


eventually /ɪˈventʃuəli/ adverb
in the end, especially after a long time
We all hope that an agreement can be reached eventually.

Personal pronouns: (1st in the sentence=subject)
I live in London.- me:Frank - speaker
They study hard.- Sally and Sarah

Objects pronouns: (after a verb or a preposition=object)
I love her
They live with us
I work for them

Possessive adjectives: (before a noun)
That’s their car
It’s our problem 

Possessive pronoun: (After verb)
That book belongs to him = That book is his
Whose car is it?
Whose books are these?
That’s not my book. Mine is smaller

8Cb, p141
Hers him their ours theirs us our its

My family and their favourite objects at home

At home the remote control of the TV belongs to my wife. It’s hers, and the sofa too. The armchair is mine.
I’ve got my tablet, she’s got hers and my eldest daughter has hers too, but she loves ours.
The studio is mine, and the pc too. But my daughter says it’s not fair.
My daughters have their room and we have ours. The toy room is theirs too.
My wife uses all the shelves and drawers in the bathrooms. They are all hers.

She likes seeing films on the internet
My mother uses it to see TV  
It’s my father’s but I use it to do sport
He doesn’t listen – no hace caso…

I always go by car
He is always at home
My baby is always crying.
make ends meet
to have just enough money to pay for the things that you need

I've taken a second job in the evenings just to make ends meet.

No comments: