Thursday, April 11, 2013

ni2 11/4/13



in‧dul‧gent
willing to allow someone, especially a child, to do or have whatever they want, even if this is not good for them:
toys bought by their indulgent grandparents

pat‧ron‧ize [transitive]
1 to talk to someone in a way which seems friendly but shows that you think they are not as intelligent or do not know as much as you:
Don't patronize me!
The program focuses on kids' interests without patronizing them.

tortoise /ˈtɔːtəs/ UK  US  sustantivo
tortuga [de tierra]

turtle /ˈtɜːtl/ UK  US  sustantivo
tortuga (marina)


fairground /ˈfeəgraʊnd/ UK  US  sustantivo
parque de atracciones [recinto]

Ride: a large machine that people ride on for fun at a fair:
We went on loads of rides.

I was eagerly looking forward to it.

over to
We flew over to the US to visit my Aunt Polly.

We didn’t have much to do with each other at first.

Ask sb out on a date.

I have an appointment to see the doctor.

Shame on you.

friend /frend/ UK  US  sustantivo & verbo
 •  sustantivo
amigo -a

She's my best friend.
Es mi mejor amiga.

I invited a friend of his.
Invité a un amigo suyo.

to be friends with sb ser amigo -a de alguien
to make friends hacer(se) amigos -as
to make friends with sb hacerse amigo -a de alguien
 •  verbo [transitivo] (informal)
agregar [en redes sociales de Internet]
You can friend me if you want to talk more.
Puedes agregarme si quieres hablar más.


WISH:
Wishes about the present and future
1.                      We use wish + past simple to express that we want asituation in the present (or future) to be different.
·         wish I spoke Italian. (I don't speak Italian.)
·         wish I had a big car. (I don't have a big car.)
·         wish I was on a beach. (I'm in the office.)
Future: I wish it was the weekend tomorrow.
(It's only Thursday tomorrow.)
2.                      We use wish + past continuous to express that we want to be doing a different action in the present (or future).
·         wish I was lying on a beach now. (I'm sitting in the office.)
·         wish it wasn't raining. (It is raining.)
·         wish you weren't leaving tomorrow. (You are leaving tomorrow.)
Wishes about the past
1.                      We use wish + past perfect to express a regret, or that we want a situation in the past to be different.
·         wish I hadn't eaten so much. (I ate a lot.)
·         wish they'd come on holiday with us. (They didn't come on holiday with us.)
·         wish I had studied harder at school. (I was lazy at school.)
Wish + would
1.                      We use wish + would + bare infinitive to express impatience, annoyance or dissatisfaction with a present action.
·         wish you would stop smoking. (You are smoking at the moment and it is annoying me.)
·         wish it would stop raining. (I'm impatient because it is raining and I want to go outside.)
·         wish she'd be quiet. (I am annoyed because she is speaking.)

No comments: