Wednesday, April 28, 2010

28/4/2010

REPORTED SPEECH 2
VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!
HE SAID (TO ME) THAT
HE TOLD ME THAT
HE ASKED (ME) IF/WHERE-WHY-WH…
SHE ANSWERED (ME)

REPORTED SPEECH PARTICLES
Affirmative sentences:
He said (THAT) he didn’t like football
Instructions:
She told me TO follow her
Questions:
He asked me WHERE I lived
She asked me IF I was from Alhama

CHANGES IN REPORTED SPEECH
- Change personal pronouns, possessive adjectives or pronouns - depending on the speaker(s)
- TENSES
Tense in "Direct speech"-Tense to use in reported speech
SIMPLE PRESENT SIMPLE PAST
Cindy asked: "Do you like watching TV?"
Giles answered he didn't mind watching TV, but there were things he liked better.

Giles said: "I don't mind watching TV, but there are things I like better
Cindy asked Giles if he liked watching tV

PRESENT BE-ING PAST BE-ING
Frank declared: " I am thinking about moving"
Frank declared he was thinking about moving
PAST BE-ING PAST PERFECT BE-ING
He told them: "I wasn't expecting your visit"
He told them he hadn't been expecting their visit

PRESENT PERFECT PAST PERFECT
She said: " I have just seen an old friend of mine"
She said she had just seen an old friend of hers.

PRESENT PERFECT BE-ING PAST PERFECT BE-ING

He asked: "Paul, how long have you been studying English?"
He asked Paul how long he had been studying English
PAST PERFECT PAST PERFECT
They said: "If we had arrived two minutes later, there would have been no cake left"
They said that if they had arrived two minutes later, there would have been no cake left.

PAST PERFECT BE-ING PAST PERFECT BE-ING
He declared: " You had been telling me you wanted to see her"
He declared they had been telling him they wanted to see her.
FUTURE (WILL) CONDITIONAL (WOULD)
I asked: " Where will you spend your holiday ?"
I asked where they would spend their holiday.
WILL + BE-ING WOULD + BE-ING
Anna declared:" I will be announcing my engagement next month"
Anna declared she would be announcing her engagement the following month
WOULD WOULD
Tony said: "I would like something to eat. I wouldn't mind a drink either."
Tony said he would like something to drink and wouldn't mind a drink either.

- Direct speech - Reported Speech
NOW - THEN
LAST (year, month, week...) - THE (year, month , week...) BEFORE
THE PREVIOUS (year, month, week...)
YESTERDAY - THE DAY BEFORE / THE PREVIOUS DAY
TOMORROW - THE NEXT DAY - THE FOLLOWING DAY
NEXT (week, month, year...) - THE (week, month, year...) AFTER / THE FOLLOWING (week, month, year...)
THIS – THAT
THAT - THAT
THESE - THOSE
THOSE - THOSE
HERE - THERE
THERE - THERE

HE ASKED ME IF HE COULD WALK/TAKE ME HOME
To walk sb home

Link
Thunder
Lightning
“What’s your favourite colour?” “My favourite colour is…”
He asked me what my favourite colour was.
“What time does the train leave”
He asked me what time the train left.
“What the fuck is that?”
He asked me what the fuck that was.
“Which of the different colours offered is your favourite?” (pregunta sin sujeto)
He asked me which of the different colours offered (no sj) was my favourite.

Blockbuster
All the rage
Critic (person) Reviews (comments)
Baptized-baptism
Nominated for/ win an Oscar
And the winner is / and the Oscar goes to.
Scene
Played the role of …. / a part
Didn’t last long

No comments: