Tuesday, November 29, 2011

nb2 29/11/11

Homework: p.38
T-bone steak [countable]
A thinly cut piece of beef that has a T-shaped bone in it.
Menu / ˈmenjuː/
Tomato /təˈmeɪtəʊ/ -US ||/təˈmɑːtəʊ/ -UK
Soup /suːp/
Potato /pəˈteɪtəʊ/
Mushroom 1 / ˈmʌʃrʊm/ , /-ruːm/
Prawn /prɔːn/
Steak /steɪk/
Butcher 1 / ˈbʊtʃər / || / ˈbʊtʃə(r)/
Gardener / ˈɡɑːrdnər / || / ˈɡɑːdnə(r)/
Salmon / ˈsæmən/
Starters, main course and dessert /dɪˈzɜːrt / || /dɪˈzɜːt/ (NOT desert 1 / ˈdezərt / || / ˈdezət/)
Pudding British English a sweet dish served at the end of a meal
For pudding
There's ice-cream FOR pudding.
➔ dessert
Revise
Excuse me
spoken
a) Used when you want to get someone's attention politely, especially when you want to ask a question:
Excuse me, can you tell me the way to the museum please?
b) Used to say that you are sorry for doing something rude or embarrassing:
Oh, excuse me. I didn't know anyone was here.

Sorry/I'm sorry
spoken
a) Used to tell someone that you wish you had not done something that has affected them badly, hurt them etc:
I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
'Matt, stop doing that!' 'Sorry!'
I'm sorry, did I step on your foot?

Wharf plural wharves [countable]
A structure that is built out into the water so that boats can stop next to it.

One in five /one out of five /

Permanent job
Nightmare
The red one suits you better
I dreamt I had to take an exam (but) I hadn’t studied.

No comments: